For all of you who like fried rice and the all time favorite for lots of people...mac and cheese!, cauliflower can be a wonderful alternative to the high carb/calorie grains in those two recipes.
For an easy delicious Moc fried rice follow this recipe and alter to your taste,
1 head of cauliflower
1 green bell pepper
5 or more carrots
1 sweet onion
1 tbs sesame oil
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
whipped egg ( either 1 whipped egg or the equivalent to in egg beaters.)
soy sauce (low sodium can be used as well)
teriyaki sauce(low sodium can be used as well)
grate the head of cauliflower into a large bowl(stems included using the same grater you would use for cheese)
dice up the pepper and onion as small or as large as you would like and add to the bowl of cauliflower.
peel and dice the carrot and add to the bowl.
Begin to heat the wok or electric skillet or 12 in skillet with the sesame oil.
Meanwhile add the chicken broth to the cauliflower mixture and mix well. Add the mixture to your heated wok* and cook on medium heat until most of the broth has been absorbed.
Add Teriyaki and soy sauce to taste ( i add approx 1/4 cup of each)
Feel free to add any extra ingredients you would like this was an experimental recipe so get creative. (i like to add ginger and a littler garlic to mine)
simmer till sauces have been absorbed and then add the whipped egg. heat till egg is cooked, and serve hot.
Very yummy alternative to fried rice!
Now for the Moc Mac and Cheese follow the recipe below.
Kosher salt *as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil spray
I large head Cauliflower, cut into small florets
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream(may use sugar free soy milk)
2 oz cream cheese cut in to small pieces ( may use low-fat cream cheese)
1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring large pot of water to a boil. season the water with salt
spray 8x8 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
2. Add Cauliflower Florets and bring to a boil again. Boil for 5 minutes.
3. Drain Water and empty cauliflower in to bowl coated with paper towels
4. Dry cauliflower as best as possible with paper towel and set aside.
5. In saucepan mix whipping cream, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, cheddar cheese,
pepper and garlic until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour cauliflower in baking dish and add cheese sauce. Mix well.
7. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown and slightly crisp.
serve hot and enjoy!
* this recipe has been approved by kids as young as 2!*
Hope you all enjoy these recipes as much as I have! And remember cauliflower can make a great alternative. Mash it up and add some cheese and garlic for a nice switch up from mashed potatoes too!