This is a Seattle vacation photo from a few years ago ... looking at still helps me relax!
My boys and dog romping in Lake Erie on a camp out. Ideal summer fun!
Sunset on the Great Lake!
I enjoy healthy eating and lots of exercise. Love to be outdoors and moving. But with work, family, stress it easily gets overlooked if I don't focus on it. Committing to make it a priority so I CAN live up to the demands of work, family, stress.
I have lost 30 pounds since using SparkPeople and although my initial weight goal was 155 lbs,I have been maintaining just above that for quiet some time. I am more concerned that I keep my weight loss and maintain my healthy habits for life, rather than committing to a short term intense plan that drops weight quickly but in a way I can't maintain. I have been feeling fit and healthy at 160ish and happy to see that I can maintain through busy and stressful times, through habits that have become my way of life. But I still have that "spare tire" round my belly and am still overweight. When I got an invite to the 2017 5% challenge I decided it is time to go for another drop. I have lost my weight mostly in small "chunks" of 10 lb increments that I maintained for a bit each time before going for more. I am not going for thin ... I am going for healthy and fit. I am ready to make a few "tweaks" and drop to the next level! I turn 50 in February 2017, and I feel more fit, healthy and strong
I used to go to the gym 3-4 times most weeks and/or jog 5 miles, but it got me nowhere. Sometimes when life got busy i would have a few weeks when i didn't have time to exercise at all. When I started SparkPeople I gave up the gym and started doing 10 minutes of exercise first thing in the morning. A year and 20 pounds later I upped it to 20, and then switched up to 30. It wasn't easy because I get up at 4:30 am to do it before work, but then nothing gets in the way. I am a total believer that small, daily commitments are what makes for successful weight loss--the kind that will be maintained. Since doing the couch to 5k I have become a runner, now doing distance runs and races (not for speed, but for comraderie). I also have also included some swimming, biking and yoga. So I now do "intense" workouts 2 or 3 times per week, but I still believe that health and weight loss is anchored in the smaller, daily commitments.
I love exercising outdoors. Can't get enough sunshine and nature! But I have periods where home and work get so busy that I run out of time in the day. So I want to do enough in the early morning so that if life gets crazy and that's all I can do, I'm still staying fit, feeling good and relieving stress. I need it to find the energy and motivation for everything ELSE I do!
My current goals:
- Log 150 minutes of fitness minutes weekly, in any combination of walk/run interval running, dog walking with hubby, or other activity
- Daily yoga challenge: hold 3 minute plank (started at 20 sec and added 20 sec per week until 3 minutes!), do at least 6 sun salutations
- Create menus and shopping list on Thursday for following week. 3 meals of 400-500 cals each, and one or two snacks of 100-200 calories. On long run weeks, pay extra attention to protein and water.
- One house chore per evening so I don't spend my weekend catching up
- Practice French 2 lessons per day (not a fitness goal, but a daily healthy brain goal :-)
- Drink 64 oz of water per day, tracking on my Garmin watch ap
- Log into SparkPeople daily to log food and fitness and give/receive support to Spark Friends.
- Log weight once per week, and tweak the plan above accordingly.
- Write out my plan for all of the above (menu, exercise, house chores) each Thursday on the SparkPeop
Secrets of Success
| current weight: 158.2