This is a Seattle vacation photo from a few years ago ... looking at still helps me relax!
My boys and dog romping in Lake Erie on a camp out. Ideal summer fun!
Sunset on the Great Lake!
I enjoy healthy eating and lots of exercise. Love to be outdoors and moving. But with work, family, stress it easily gets overlooked if I don't focus on it. Committing to make it a priority so I CAN live up to the demands of work, family, stress.
I have lost 30 pounds since using SparkPeople and although my initial weight goal was 155 lbs,I have been maintaining just above that for quiet some time. I am more concerned that I keep my weight loss and maintain my healthy habits for life, rather than committing to a short term intense plan that drops weight quickly but in a way I can't maintain. I have been feeling fit and healthy at 160ish and happy to see that I can maintain through busy and stressful times, through habits that have become my way of life. But I still have that "spare tire" round my belly and am still overweight. When I got an invite to the 2017 5% challenge I decided it is time to go for another drop. I have lost my weight mostly in small "chunks" of 10 lb increments that I maintained for a bit each time before going for more. I am not going for thin ... I am going for healthy and fit. I am ready to make a few "tweaks" and drop to the next level! I turn 50 in February 2017, and I feel more fit, healthy and strong
I used to go to the gym 3-4 times most weeks and/or jog 5 miles, but it got me nowhere. Sometimes when life got busy i would have a few weeks when i didn't have time to exercise at all. When I started SparkPeople I gave up the gym and started doing 10 minutes of exercise first thing in the morning. A year and 20 pounds later I upped it to 20, and then switched up to 30. It wasn't easy because I get up at 4:30 am to do it before work, but then nothing gets in the way. I am a total believer that small, daily commitments are what makes for successful weight loss--the kind that will be maintained. Since doing the couch to 5k I have become a runner, now doing distance runs and races (not for speed, but for comraderie). I also have also included some swimming, biking and yoga. So I now do "intense" workouts 2 or 3 times per week, but I still believe that health and weight loss is anchored in the smaller, daily commitments.
I love exercising outdoors. Can't get enough sunshine and nature! But I have periods where home and work get so busy that I run out of time in the day. So I want to do enough in the early morning so that if life gets crazy and that's all I can do, I'm still staying fit, feeling good and relieving stress. I need it to find the energy and motivation for everything ELSE I do!
My current goals:
- Log 150 minutes of fitness minutes weekly, in any combination of walk/run interval running, dog walking with hubby, or other activity
- Daily yoga challenge: hold 3 minute plank (started at 20 sec and added 20 sec per week until 3 minutes!), do at least 6 sun salutations
- Create menus and shopping list on Thursday for following week. 3 meals of 400-500 cals each, and one or two snacks of 100-200 calories. On long run weeks, pay extra attention to protein and water.
- One house chore per evening so I don't spend my weekend catching up
- Practice French 2 lessons per day (not a fitness goal, but a daily healthy brain goal :-)
- Drink 64 oz of water per day, tracking on my Garmin watch ap
- Log into SparkPeople daily to log food and fitness and give/receive support to Spark Friends.
- Log weight once per week, and tweak the plan above accordingly.
- Write out my plan for all of the above (menu, exercise, house chores) each Thursday on the SparkPeop
Secrets of Success
| current weight: 153.2
I agree....We have 7 days to look ahead to. Have a great week!
4 days ago
5 days ago
i love LSR too - and i've been doing galloway for a few years, actually improved my times both on the 10 K and the half. but yesterday, just staying slow and steady really seemed to work (and the time is definitely slower than when i've been doing my galloway runs until now). so glad to be back on the road again!
17 days ago
thanks for stopping by the blog - i'm a translator, swedish to english, specializing in financial and medical translation. it means we can be anywhere that i have an internet connection - my clients are in sweden, which is why i work in the middle of the night for the time zone. and then i get to be outdoors during the daytime:-)
27 days ago
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do THAT. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
~ Howard Thurman.
32 days ago