24 Apr 2012 Ev, Snuggles on L, Bruzer on R
27 Sept 2012, Rocky, oncology nurse, Bob and me
Ev April 2010 Getting started in SP
I have 46 pics in my gallery
I'm no longer just a fluffy senior citizen
Update 01 March 2013
I reached my final goal of 120 on 22 June 2012. I feel so much better mentally and physically. Returning here daily, I still track my food and excercise, blog, try to keep up with Spark Buds and teams. As much as I do the best I can, I don't always succeed in making that last part! I am continuing to reward myself for every four months I remain in my 117-123 range, In October I gave myself some new clothes. In February I got a new pair of walking shoes. ...
Update 01 March 2013
I reached my final goal of 120 on 22 June 2012. I feel so much better mentally and physically. Returning here daily, I still track my food and excercise, blog, try to keep up with Spark Buds and teams. As much as I do the best I can, I don't always succeed in making that last part! I am continuing to reward myself for every four months I remain in my 117-123 range, In October I gave myself some new clothes. In February I got a new pair of walking shoes.
After I wrote this, my radiation oncologist and my primary doctor both wanted me to gain to between 125-135. I'm doing it, but I don't feel as well as I did at 120. I have left my goal at 120, but hover right around 130.
My love for Spark People and all my Spark Buds goes beyond words. This is such a unique place. I doubt there is another like it anywhere.
Many health issues kept me from doing as much exercise as I would liked to do. However the longer I'm with SP, the more I can do. Already I rarely use my power chair and the amount I use my walker is down, too.
In November 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. At first I felt down, thinking I only lost weight because of the cancer being in me. I kept on even though it was difficult. While going thru radiation and chemo treatments, I tried to do a little cardio each day and tracking my food even though I had little appetite. I was shocked at my weekly weigh-ins. From when I started treatment on 19 Jan 2011 until I graduated and officially became a survivor 21 March 2011, I had lost 9.50 lbs! If I had been able, I would have danced the happy dance!!
When I went for my 6 week check-up from the BC, I was diagnosed with cancer on my right tonsil. This journey has been long and really nasty. Though my treatments have ended, I still have issues, especially with trying to eat (swallow). And many things burn my mouth or taste like salt.
This healthy living has been an unusual journey, but one I am happy about thus far. I started to gain when I became smoke free and no longer let those nasty sticks rule my life. Now I am doing the same with food. I am no longer letting food rule my life.
I have found Spark People to be a life line for me. Getting to know so many SP's in my teams and all of the support and information that is available has helped me to move forward to my other goal of living a more healthful lifestyle.
Membership on this site and learning so much about healthy choices and tracking food intake has helped both my hubby with his diabetes and me with weight loss.
Things I love and use with this site:
1) the blogs - I try to keep one and I love reading those of other members. There is a lot of motivational help that can be easy to incorporate into my own goals. There is also those who are getting down and if I can help give support, I am happy.
2) the newsletters I receive that have so much info in them.
3) the teams where there is support and encouragement from the members.
4) the recipes and cookbooks filled with healthy meal choices. I have several of my own.
5) the food trackers along with the points sheet. I try to log everyday.
6) the fun! It is only good for you to smile and laugh and that has helped me stay positive.
7) finally are the trophies. I don't yet know why they seem so important for the accomplishments, but they are to me. I suspect it has something to do with my collector mentality. Of course it has nothing to do with
competion with myself. ;-)
Never have I found all of this contained in one place. The day I found this site and clicked "register" has been one of the best in my life.
It's a wonderful journey with twist and turns along with some plateaus along the way. But it is all so worth it.
Where will we go today?
| current weight: 135.0
Member Since: 2/13/2008
Fitness Minutes: 63,327
I would love to lose some weight but really want to try to live a healthier lifestyle.
1) - 65 lbs - Reward will be a shopping spree at Amazon -reached 12 Sept 2011!!!!!
2) - 30 lbs. Reward will be to download books to Kindle and music to my iPod. - reached 15 December 2011
3 - 20 lbs? Reward will be lots of new clothes, and a day of beauty!! 24 Feb 2012
4. 20 lbs - new walking shoes - Reached final goal - 120 lbs 22 June 2012 - 150 total pounds gone from Feb 2008.
5. Be able to run to do at least 5K of the 26K with Donna to benefit breast cancer research and awareness. To acomplish this goal is reward enough. ---- Because of dry mouth issues from my cancer treatment, I'll not be able to run or even walk far enough to participate in a race.
Stretching, walking, and SP vids with Coach Nichole. PT and OT exercises from my therapists.
Making sure I keep portions as they shoud be,
Making my daily tracking. This is so important to me.
My name is Evelyn, friends call me Ev or Ang. I am from NE Ohio, but have lived full tme in FL since 1 March 1991. I really love it here. I've been married to my best friend since August of 2000. He has three children and one grandson, all in MN. We also have 4 dogs in our pack. Bruzer is a Chorkie, Rex is a Golden Retriever, and Coco is chi mix. Snuggles is a long haired Chi. All of them are rescued.
Rexie went to Rainbow Bridge 5/19/2013.
I enjoy politics and evironmental issues. Music is a joyful thing.
Movies are a great escape. My favorite kinds are romantic comedy (chick flix), comedy, and classics.
On TV my favs are NCIS and NCIS - LA, since I was in Law Enforcement in another lifetime. I love to read almost anything except Horror. I love to write. I have done genealogy since 1971. I have been a member of Beta Sigma Phi social sorority since January 1969. Have been a member of DAR since 1980. Currently my chapter is in Wisconsin. I am a huge football fan, especially of the U F Gators. We follow the Jacksonville Jags. Bob is from northern MN and likes the Vikings. Me, I still follow the Browns. I enjoy baseball a lot - my hubby not so much. The Cubs and the Indians are my teams. For NASCAR I love Danica Patrick.