Hi there! I joined Spark in July 2012 shortly after my 40th birthday, after reading the book "Change Anything". The principles of using multiple sources of influence to make any kind of change in your life, including weight loss are a big part of Spark, including challenges to keep motivated, social support, etc.
I made solid progress my first year on Spark, losing 40+ pounds and getting within 10 pounds of my goal. Since that time I have gained about half of that weight back, but have maintained a lot of the positive habits and increased fitness levels. While I haven't quite conquered the yo-yo thing, what is different this time is that I have not come close to yo-yoing beyond where I started - to be in a worse place than when I started. I am able to rebound more quickly and keep moving overall in the right direction.
When I'm not working (I love my job but it involves way too many hours sitting in front of a computer), or spending time with my husband and our dogs, I am an officer in the volunteer fire service, and so increasing strength, stamina, and energy while avoiding injury are all very important to me. I am looking for new workout ides to keep me motivated. I prefer video routines using free weights.
While this has not been a linear journey, I still ultimately believe I can permanently get off the yo-yo diet and exercise roller coaster I had been on for too many years, and will be able to not only reach but actually maintain my health and fitness goals.
- Run at least 1 5K race per quarter. (DONE) Work towards time of 25:29.
Mar 22: 30:22
Apr 29: 29:24
May 17: 30:43
Sept 13: 30:45
Nov 14: 28:30 (PB)
- Good health statistics and stress test results at annual FD physical (DONE)
- Do well at live burns and other FD training (DONE)
- Do a stair climb event in turnout gear (stretch goal - with pack) (DONE July 2015; With pack 66 flights; gear only for remaining 44 flights)
- Run at least two 5K races. Work towards time of 25:29.
~ Race 1: DONE 26Apr 31:00
~ Race 2: DONE 03MAY 31:09
- Good health statistics and stress test results at annual FD physical (DONE 3/2014)
- Do well at live burns and other FD training (3/2014 DONE; 5/2015 DONE)
- Do a stair climb event in turnout gear (DONE July 2014 - NFFF 110 flights)
- Finish "Falling for Fitness" Challenge (target 168; actual 168) DONE Feb 2013
- Finish "Spring into Action" Challenge (target 155) DONE June 2013, missed target
- Finish "Season of the Beast" Challenge (target 155) DONE Oct 2013, missed target
- Run at least two 5K races. Work towards time of 25:29. (Current PB is 28:38)
~ Race 1: DONE 27Apr 29:04
~ Race 2: DONE 01Sept 29:47
~ Race 3: DONE 16NOV 28:41
- Good health statistics and stress test results at annual FD physical - DONE Mar 2013
- Do well at live burns and other FD training
~ District Burn DONE May 2013
~ Department Burn DONE Oct 2013
- Do a stair climb event DONE July 2013 (NFFF 110 flights) (in street clothes)
- 34 pounds lost (2/3 of the way towards my goal)
- Run a 5K - DONE Sept 2nd (34:41)
- Finish "Rock It" 3Q12 challenge (target 188) - DONE - target weight met Sept
- Do well at live burns & other FD training:
~ Sept 29th (bail out training) DONE - 2nd floor jumps (on belay) - 9 times - 6 on air and 3 of those blindfolded. Yay!!
~ Oct 5th (work fire brigade burn) DONE !
~ Oct 20th DONE (district live burn)
- Run SP virtual 5K - DONE Oct (30:18)
- Run local Turkey Trot 5K - DONE Nov (30:29)
Overall weight goals and rewards (Start 7/2012 208):
- Lose 10 lbs (198): (DONE - Aug 2012)
- Lose 10% from start weight (187): (DONE - Sept 2012)
- Lose 30 lbs (178): (DONE - Nov 2012; July 2014; Sept 2015)
- Lose 10% from 187 (168) - Healthy BMI (DONE - Feb 2013; Nov 2015)
***UGH - backslide 4Q13*** back up to 190 Jan 2014; Aug 2015).
- Reach high end of maintenance range (159)
- Reach target (155)
- REACH GOAL WEIGHT
- Stay on track when traveling for work
- Run at least 1 5K race per quarter. Work towards time of 25:29.
- Good health statistics and stress test results at annual FD physical
- Do well at live burns and other FD training
- Do a stair climb event (110 flights) in turnout gear and air pack (60 lb load)
I need to keep in mind: Diet trumps exercise. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. Measure and track food!!!
- Jogging at least twice a week
- Run / walk interval training at least once a week
- Strength / Circuit training (like TacFit Firefighter, Jari Love, Jillian Michael's, P90X3, or Supreme90 DVDs) 3-4 times a week
- Stairs training at least twice a week
- Yoga once a week
- Would like to be able to do pull ups...
- Eat a balanced diet
- Track food and fitness consistently
- Drink 8 cups of water daily
- Avoid caffeine
- Consistently get a good nights sleep
- Practice gratitude
- Observe Mindful eating
- Reject all or nothing thinking
- Be in the "now" with whatever I'm doing
- Make Sparkpeople connections
I am 5'9 1/2". I am a data geek. My Myers-Briggs profile is ISTJ. Enneagram Type 9w1. I love the challenge of being a volunteer firefighter. I enjoy baking, reading, and doing Charles Wysocki jigsaw puzzles. I especially love riding AATVs (love my MAX II). If you are not familiar with these see the video link on my Community Journal challenge tracker below - I'm in the video in a couple of spots...
Thanks to Spark, I am a proud Sunny Gal !!!
"Chance favors only the prepared mind".
- Louis Pasteur
"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it".
- Lord Kelvin
My Community Journal:
Test Community Journal
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| Pounds lost: 0.0