Me 2015 at work
Me crossing the finish line at my first 5 K, Sept 2013
This is me on my birthday in 2004, I would love to get back into this shape and dress!
Shared Food Tracker
JMAHNKEN is a SparkPeople Motivator!
Hi, I am Janette, I will be 57 in April. I live with my boyfriend and his son that is turning 12 this month. We live in Escondido, CA. We have two dogs that my boyfriend bought for his son. I started Spark People and My Fitness Pal on Mother's Day Weekend, 2013 at 170 pounds. I joined several other weight loss and exercise sites and groups since then. I got down to 140 pounds soon after joining the sites while I was training to run my first and only 5 K in Sept of 2013. Something that I would have never thought of ever trying before I started this journey. Since I am asthmatic and have never been really athletic because of it and other health issues. I had old and new health issues bothering me before and after that race. So I stopped all high impact exercise sometime after that race at the guidance of my doctors.
On April 1, 2014 I started the Dash Diet at 144.8 pounds. I bounced back up as soon as I went on that diet and started adding more dairy, fruits and grains and such back into my diet like my doctors wanted me to do. So I started playing with it and was doing better. But then I had health problem after health problem and started to put weight back on. And with going back to work I was having a hard time with it too. So I have been working more on just maintaining and not so much concentrating on losing since I went back to work.
I had a goal to get at least a part time job, and I accomplished that the end of Jan 2015. I am back in the Financial Services industry. That Feb I did 52 hours of continuing education at Kaplan College. And that April 2nd I took my Life, Accident, and Health Insurance test and passed to get my license for it. And I started a 2nd part time job in November of 2015 helping to advertise some local businesses.
And I started another part time job on Jan 4th of 2016 working for a local CPA, as an office manager, doing receptionist duties, data entry, bookkeeping and payroll among other duties. I have since replaced the other two part time jobs with this one job. Plus I take care of our two dogs, and my boyfriendâ€™s son, acting as the chauffeur to get him to and from school, and his mom's house which is in a nearby city. Watching him when he is not in school, and his parents are busy with their jobs, and taking care of the house and such too.
Goals I started in 2013 and I have already completed or are still working on:
1: Got down to 140 pounds in 2013. But started to go back up when I stopped running for health issues and my life just got really busy. Now I have to start all over. I am hoping to get down to 130 pounds or so. I would like to get back into my little red dress and have it fit nicer on me than it does now.
2: I cut my Blood pressure medicine in half twice already in 2013. And now I am off of it and hoping to stay off of it.
3: I lowered my bad and raised my good cholesterol level to help with my gallbladder, liver and gallstone issue in 2013. And each year it was getting better and better. I hope to continue this.
4: I started to eat more whole foods and less processed foods daily in 2013, and want to continue it.
5: I started to walk daily either in our home, or in our neighborhood. Started to walk my errands and appointments as much as possible in 2013. And I want to continue it.
6: I started drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day in 2013. And want to continue it.
7: I started trying to get at least 8 hours sleep nightly in 2013. This one is hard for me as I just donâ€™t sleep well. I am a really light sleeper that wakes up really easy from the slightest noise or movement. And our dogs wake me up a lot too during the night and early morning. Or I get hot and cold spells or other issues that wake me up during the night and morning.
8. I started exercising for at least 10 minutes daily in 2013, and quickly upped it to at least 30 minutes and have continued it. I want to keep it up to at least 30 minutes daily.
9. I started stretching every day in 2013. And I am doing even more of now to help with my Scoliosis and oblique muscle issues. As they caused me to give up my high impact exercises. And if I donâ€™t do the stretching it will just get worse and worse. I found some new stretches in 2016 that I want to continue with.
10. I started trying to walk one more step every day in 2013. And I wish to try to keep it up too.
11. I started weighing myself and logging it in daily in 2013. And I still do it usually daily or at least once a week.
12. I started measuring myself and logging it in monthly in 2013. I still do it on and off during the year.
13. I started checking into the site for at least 5 minutes daily in 2013. I usually am on the site several times a day for way more than 5 minutes each time. I plan on checking in at least once a week for at least 5 minutes.
14. And the Last one is to have a Very Happy, Healthy & Wealthy New Year! This is the one that I have to work at the most! Along with trying to sleep through the night. LOL.
To feel better health wise.
To look healthier again.
To get back into some of my favorite clothes.
In May 2013, I started to count calories for the first time in my life and I am trying to exercise for at least 30 mins everyday. In April of 2014 I started the DASH Diet per my doctors.
I am from San Diego, Ca. But I am now living in Escondido, Ca.
I like walking and playing with our dogs.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 165.3