Larry and me on the top of Middle Sister, central Oregon in May, 2007
Cal-Neva marathon 9-28-13
Shared Food Tracker
KAYOTIC is a SparkPeople Motivator!
I'm in the midst of a journey to be a happier, healthier, better person. I'd say I was there, but I don't think the journey ends until it ends. And as long as there is life, the journey continues!
Having been a fat child, I never thought of myself as an active person. I lost most of the weight in my 20's so it's been a while since I was over 200 pounds, but while it takes a long time to lose weight, I think it may take even longer to lose the idea of being a heavy person.
I decided to enter my 40's being in the best shape of my life. I workout with a trainer, I hike, bike, run when I can, and generally try to eat healthy foods, but still enjoy the occasional treat. Dark chocolate is a particular favorite of mine.
What I do now that I didn't do then:
Take the stairs without getting winded.
Run, and not feel like I can't breathe, or need to stop and walk.
Walk without my thighs rubbing together.
Choose healthy foods over unhealthy ones.
Pamper myself without feeling like I don't deserve it!
Love being active.
Shop at the lower end of the rack, in the regular stores.
Love eating fresh fruits and vegetables, and love trying new foods.
Feel a sense of peace within myself.
My first goal is to be healthy and fit.
My second goal: gaining a positive mental attitude and an openness and willingness to learn from others and from my own mistakes.
I'm in maintenance and I'm learning how to stay within a stable weight range. My diet plan is to eat mainly healthy, natural, less processed foods for the most part, and not to deny myself the occasional treat. I enjoy most fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, as well as red wine and dark chocolate. I feel if I eat healthy food 90% of the time, I don't worry about the other 10%.
Since then I have gotten back to my previous level of activity, and have been trail running, hiking, climbing, backpacking and mountian biking. I really enjoy being outside and being acitve in the outdoors. I also work out weekly with a personal trainer who guides my workouts in line with my recreational activitties.
My favorite toy: the infrared connector to my HRM from Polar. It transfers the data from my watch to the computer, and I get all the information in graphs and color bars. I am a bit of a technology geek!
I've moved to Reno with my boyfriend of 6 years, and we enjoy an active lifestyle in and around Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada mountains. I enjoy hiking and mountaineering in my time off. Other activties I enjoy are mountain biking, skiing, and going to the gym. I also like to read, watch movies and television and eat good food.
Moderation is key. Forgive your faults. Celebrate your victories.
Races I've done:
Echo to Kirkwood snowshoe race, 13K, 2004 and 2005 took 3rd place in Women's division.
Cowtown 1/2 marathon. 2004
The Great Ski Race, 2007 30K skate skiing. 3:50
Did last leg of California International Marathon 2006 on relay team.
Roto-Run in Granite Bay 10K: 59:39 3rd place in age group
The Great Ski Race 2010 took over an hour off my 2007 time: 2:46
Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marthon, 10/17/11 Took a minute off my previous half time, and surprised myself crossing the finish in 2:13:03
| current weight: 5.0 over
No particular program. I have an extensive dumbbell collection and I work all the major muscle groups with three sets at about 80% of my one rep max to failure. I have multiple exercises for each muscle group, but on any day I will only do one just to keep the routine varied for sanity's sake.
17 days ago
I resisted and resisted getting a smartphone. Now that I have one I wonder what took me so long. I don't play games, watch movies, or listen to music on mine, but the free apps by Google (maps, translator, spreadsheets, etc.) and dietary analysis apps (like MyFitnessPal) are invaluable. Not to mention there is a built in flashlight and compass!
22 days ago
Thanks so much for the comment on my blog and for your support. I have finally come across a food, grain free, that kitty cat seems to eat. I agree, it might take time, but it's so hard to have her look at me with those greens saying, "where's the other stuff?" :)
71 days ago
Thank you for the blog love. Miss you all!
76 days ago
Happy Tuesday. The cheese or cheez is a sauce with the cheese flavor basically from Nutritional Yeast. It shouldn't be that hard, but mine turned out a bit thick. :) It's from an Uncheez cookbook. I will be giving it another try or another sauce that I can use on anything.
111 days ago