Hubby and I out celebrating
4:30 a.m., in the Transition area
Long Beach 1/2 Marathon
Shared Food & Fitness Trackers
MARATHONMOM26.2 is a SparkPeople Motivator!
January 9, 2014: A long overdue update to my page...
2013 brought many changes to my life - I went into business for myself, moved, and continued to struggle with injuries and funtional limitations. I also set new running goals and began to believe that I could reach them, with moderate success. I learned that I am a survivor, and I focused on what really mattered to me this year.
While I'd still love to hit a new PR in both a HM and full Marathon I have accepted that this may not happen, and that's OK. I continue to train but as I get older I have put more emphasis on being healthy and functionally fit rather than on being faster. I have had to learn to be OK with slow race times, finding joy in the journey rather than the medal.
I am evolving and loving life!
March 15, 2012: Hard for me to belive that its been over a year since I last updated my spark page! So much has changed, and yet so much remains the same...
I am now at the 2-year anniversary of my (major) foot surgery; this is the benchmark the doctors set for recovery and while I'm glad that I did it, I'm not quite where I wanted to be. I have been walking races for the past year and working towards the day that I can run again. Sadly, that day is not here - yet. I'm working through knee issues and moving forward with faith that I will run again, sooner rather than later.
I have maintained my weight loss with some minor bumps in the road, and have just celebrated my first anniversary as a personal trainer, ranked #1 in my club! I continue to pursue my passions for helping others get fit and pain free, and find the joy in regular exercise. I treasure my spark friends despite being online less than ever before. Those who have walked this journey with me are always near to my heart!
December 14, 2010:
I joined SP nearly two years ago and I figured an update to my page is long overdue. I am now 50 years old and so much happier than when I first found this site! Some things about my life have changed dramatically -- I've lost nearly 30 pounds since starting here, I've made some very good friends, I've run half marathons and marathons and completed triathlons; I've been injured, had major surgery, and found other ways to compete and stay fit and healthy... Most of all, I've learned an awful lot about myself: what motivates me, what I want out of life, what I need to do to get there.
I thank all those who have been a part of this continuing journey, because without you I might not be where I am today!
I am 48 years old and the married mother of 2, aged 19 and 17. I started running last year after giving it a try in the early '80s and have persisted, despite my body telling me that running might not be the best sport for me! I completed my first marathon in March of 2008 and have a few 1/2 Marathons under my belt since then.
I suffer from back/leg/ankle pain but run anyway to challenge myself. I am now going to tackle weight loss the way I tackled the marathon - with a plan and a support group - and hope that this is the path to change!
Feb 22, 2009: The longer I am on SP, the more I have come to appreciate my accomplishments. I just started thinking back on all the times I have tried to lose weight and what makes this time different - for me, it has to be the support I'm receiving on this site. I also started thinking of my past athletic accomplishments, which I had previously minimized because I thought they weren't "good enough" - now I'm learning that they were the best I could do, and I'm celebrating them!
Waikiki Roughwater Swim, 2.4 miles, Sept. 6, 1982 (1:47:24)
Honolulu Run for Diamonds 5k, Feb 1983, 1984
1. Kole Kole inaugural 1/2 Marathon, Aug. 1983
Great Aloha inaugural Run, 8.15 miles, Feb 1985
Santa Rosa Wine Country Century, May 1997
El Tour de Tuscon, 115 miles, Nov 1997(8:47:43)
Mission Inn 10k, Nov 2007(1:21:03), 2008(1:16:18)
Loma Linda Holiday Classic 15k, Dec 2007, 2008(2:02:27)
1. Los Angeles Marathon, March 2008(6:19:53)
2. Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Aug 2008(3:05:10)
Dana Point Turkey Trot 10k, Nov 2008(1:19:13)
3. Surf City 1/2 Marathon, Feb 2009 - PR(2:53:11)
4. Disney World inaugural Princess 1/2 Marathon, March 2009 - PR(2:45:03)
5. Orange County 1/2 Marathon, May 2009 - PR(2:39:34)
2. San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon, May 2009 - PR(5:53:45)
Trek Women's Duathlon, June 2009 - (1:19:36)
6. San Francisco 1/2 Marathon, July 2009 - (3:02:55)
7. Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Sept 2009 - (3:05:04)
8. Long Beach 1/2 Marathon, October 2009 - (2:48:39)
9. Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon, Vegas, Dec 2009 - (2:44:56)
WDW Coast to Coast 2009 - EARNED!
CA Dreaming Series 2009 - EARNED!
Rock 'n Roll Heavy Medal - 39.3 - EARNED!
3. Rock 'n Roll Marathon, Phoenix, Jan 2010 - (5:54:03)
Rock 'n Roll Desert Double Down - EARNED!
10. Surf City Marathon, February 2010 - (2:47:27)
Race on the Base Triathlon, February 2010 - (1:38:04)
FOOT SURGERY, March 9, 2010 - EXPECTED RECOVERY: 18-24 months
Lake Norconian 5k, October 2010 - (55 minutes?)
Lighten Up Corona Weight Loss Contest - Greatest Transformation Grand Prize Winner!
Turkey Tri Relay, Swim leg, November 2010 - (34:48.3), T1 (2:15.5)
Team Fearless took 4th place for female relay teams
Tinsel Tri Relay, Bike and Swim legs, December 2010 - (bike 40:25, swim 4:51 including transitions - split times unavailable). Team Golden Girls finished in 1:14:26, 15th out of 39 relay teams, including all Male and Mixed gender teams!!)
2011 - Just starting back to walking Post-Op:
11. OC Half Marathon, Walking only, May 2011 - (3:26:01)
12. Long Beach Half Marathon, still walking, Oct 9, 2011 - (3:27:55)
13. Nike Women's Half Marathon, Oct 16, 2011 - (3:19:06)
Iron Girl 5k, November 6, 2011 - (39:51)
Mission Inn 10k, November 13, 2011 - (1:21:11)
14. Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas Half, Dec 4, 2011 - (3:45:47)
2012: (still restricted to walking :( )
15. Temecula Valley Half Marathon, Jan 21 - (3:24:39)
16. Inaugural Tinkerbell Half Marathon, Jan 29 - (3:22:43)
17. Surf City Half Marathon, Feb 5 - (3:08:06)
4. LA Marathon, March 18 - (7:05:27)
RAGNAR SoCal Relay, April 20-21 - 3 runs: 5.6 miles (1:20:24),
3.7 miles (44:49), 5.01 miles (1:03:08). Total: 14.31 miles; avg pace 14:22, 12:09, 12:35. Bucket list item!!
OC Half Marathon, May 6 - running again! (2:51:24)
18. RnR Portland Inaugural HM, May 20 - (2:55:38)
Camp Pendelton Mud Run, Jun 6 - Team 10k
19. Disneyland HM, Sep 2 - (3:00:40) (Ran with a free bib)
Ragnar Napa Valley, Sep 14-15 - 3 runs: 4 miles(49:45), 6.5 miles(1:27 - BRUTAL uphill), 3.1 miles(37:37). Total: 13.6 miles; avg pace 12:45 m/m
20. Long Beach HM, Oct 7 - injured 0.25 in :( Hobbled the race (3:38:20)
21. Surf City Beach Derby HM Scramble, Oct 21 - 10 miles (2:12:37), 5k Sand Obstacle Course (51:22); Total: 3:03:59 (Ran with a free bib)
22. RnR LA HM, Oct 28 - HOT! Ran in costume (3:12:11)
Ragnar Vegas, Nov 9-10 (got sick after 2nd leg) Leg 1: 3.02 miles - 41:22; Leg 2: 4.67 miles - 1:01:19; Leg 3: 3.84 miles - 52:15
Ragnar Florida Keys, Jan 4-5. 3 runs: 3.56 miles - 44:02; 7 miles - 1:29:21; 3.92 miles - 51:12
23. Surf City HM, with bronchitis :( Feb 3 - (3:26:25)
Nike Women's Virtual 10K, Mar 10 - 1:28:12
24. Hollywood HM, Apr 6 - 2:53:59
Peace Love Run 10k, Apr 14 - ran 1st mile! And ran 3 miles to get to race start... but then got PF mid race. Finished w/o official time
25. Nike Women's HM DC, Apr 28 - 3:01:27
26. OC HM, May 5 - 3:00:41
27. Costume Party Run, Jul 7 - 3:13:46 (in a walking boot and with a cane)
Ragnar Napa Valley, Sept 20-21 Super Heroes in Training! 36:14, 3 runs:
Hometown Heroes Run 5k, October 12- 36:33, 10th in my AG!
28. Long Beach HM, October 13 - 2:58:36
29. Nike Women's Marathon (HM) SF, October 20 - 2:53:28
Dana Point Turkey Trot 10k, Nov 28 - 1:22:38 (1:17 Garmin)
30. Diva HM, Dec 8 - 2:48:07, 74/158 in my age group
31. Citrus Heritage HM, Jan 11 - 3:00:17
32. Surf City HM, DNS :(
A favorit quote, from INDYGIRL: " It isn�t easy creating a new life for yourself, so be kind to yourself like you would a good friend. Dream big, step small, and keep going."
*Not "are you ready to change?" but "will you change?"
**Not "how much potential do you have?" but "how much potential will you use?"
**Not "do you know what to do?" but "will you do what you know?"
**Not "will you start?" but "will you finish?"
**Not "do you have the time?" but "do you have the discipline, the attitude and the commitment?"
Gracioiusly shared by Melly330
MOTIVATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS:
M- Make short term goals
O- Out with the negative thoughts
T- Think of why you want this
I- Imagine how you will feel
V- Visualize how you will look
A- Acknowledge your successes
T- Treat yourself with respect
I- Investigate new ideas and foods
O- Observe your healthy lifestyle
N- Never give up and never give in
Borrowed from another SP member!
Sounds like a great location to have a HM. Enjoy!!! Well, I don't know the location, but the word "surf" in in the name and that sounds like a good location.
876 days ago
Have a great
876 days ago
Have a great race this weekend!
876 days ago
have a wonderful half!
876 days ago
Have a great race!
876 days ago