2015 St Anthony's Triathlon Finish Chute!
My 'lil Spark. Gianna, who changed my life! Motivation? Look to the children!
My Tower of Strength! Post 2016 New Orleans Crescent City Classic 10K!
MIRAGE727 is a SparkPeople Motivator!
HALF FANATIC #3774
Hello SparkFriends, I'm Monty!
- In 1975, I left the Armed Forces with a 25% disability! I was told that I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 45! To date, I still have spinal nerve damage but have found ways to carry on in training for runs and Triathlons!
- After being an athlete and going through weight fluctuation all my life, I had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2000, messed up all my blood work numbers, ate garbage, and forgot what exercise was! My maximum density had reached 258 lbs! After a reality check and ten years, I got rid of 30 lbs. But I slipped and started going back up. After moving to Fl, I was down to around 222.
- On Oct 17, 2010, I was around 215 when introduced to SP. By the end of that month, I had started walking, I realized strength training again, I started fueling clean, and accepted a healthier lifestyle. (Slowly but safely.) I also discovered I loved walking 5Ks. I had done 4 official 5Ks and always envied the runners going by. I trained and became a runner at 61! Since Nov. 2010, I've done over 60 5Ks, 1 8K, 8 10K, 2 15Ks, 1 10Miler, 10 Half Marathons, 3 Duathlons & 13 Triathlons! I turned 66 years young on May 25, 2016. I am starting my 4th years as a member of the Outspokin Bicycles Triathlon Team!
- I lost 57 lbs inside of 5 months, a total of 100 lbs! I reached my goal weight adjusted for running/Triathlon performance, and have been maintaining for over 5 years! I'm on the journey and I love it! SparkPeople provides me a source of accountability. The best way I can pass it forward is to be a positive force, lead by example, and help everyone here along our journey!
- In Mar 2016, I celebrated 7 years cancer free! I'm embracing the fact that I'm a survivor for a reason!
- There are slight bumps in the journey's road. DON'T dwell on them. Taking a break or leaving for a while only hurts you, and makes for easy excuses! Focus on your dreams and you will soar to your goals. Do it for you!
- It's simple. I want to be able to enjoy a longer life with my family here in Paradise! I'm taking back the years lost! Commitment, consistency, and persistence with no excuses or walking away is the winner's way! I am accountable. I wouldn't want it any other way!
1) Focus on safe running & better training practices.
2) Become a better Triathlete.
3) Continue to prove by example that the Spark Plan to live healthy works.
4) Support, motivate and inspire all my SparkFriends any way I can.
5) Focus on intrinsic values & enjoy the journey!
1) Continue as a role model for my granddaughter and to work to inspire others.
2) Continue to represent Outspokin Multisport Team.
3) Optimize Nutrition.
4) Always cook healthy.
5) Always be in learning mode.
6) Stay positive and passionate about life!
- I live in Dunedin, Fl, with a Palm Harbor address, by the beach! (Welcome to Planet Florida!)
- I'm "retired" after 32 years of government service with the last 24 at The Pentagon. :P
- I Chair the Public Affairs Action Advisory Committee, and ExOfficio on the Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory & Stadium Advisory Committees for the City of Dunedin, Fl
- Member of a Triathlon/Road Race Management Team.
- Member of the Outspokin Multisport Race Team.
- Member of VIP Warriors Tampa, enabling challenged Veterans to compete in endurance sports.
- Technical & creative consultant, providing reviews and commentaries on several social networks.
- I was led to SparkPeople by my wife, DSSECRETS, in Oct '10 ! I can honestly say that SP strengthened our bond, friendship, and love.
- I've been to hell on earth! I've had 7 near death experiences!
I'm a survivor, still suffer guilt from it, BUT I'm now embracing life to the fullest!
"I've been high, I've been low, I've been yes, and I've been oh hell no!"
Secrets of Success
|271 Maintenance Weeks