My Aunt Susie, me, and my Mom
Amy, me, and Jamie - the new Angels!
Shared Food & Fitness Trackers
I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I've updated my goals and sparkpage. I have been off on my own, but while that's been somewhat successful, I still have a long way to go. So, I'm back to sparkpeople and am going to give this a real 100% commitment this time. I've been back kind of quietly for around a month with the nutrition tracker. But I think I need to do the blogging and the keeping up with friends and all the other stuff too.
My biggest accomplishment since I've been gone is that I really have made exercise a big part of my life. I just need to get the eating and exercising working together. I am going to be hiking part of the Grand Canyon in October and I aim to have at least 50 pounds less on my knees for that trip. I spent the last week (Apr. 7 through 13 up in Flagstaff hiking with a friend who's going on the GC trip with me and we hiked every single day. As I write this today, I'm on a 6 day streak of exercising and eating normal portions of food. I am going to keep this going.
I guess the first step is to be honest with everything. I haven't wanted to update my weight here on SP because it makes me so sad that I'm back up to 268.4 from my low of 249. But I have ripped off that band-aid now! Ha ha! So, while I'm being honest and working the whole accountability thing, here are my goals for the next 6 months (Apr. 14 to Oct. 14):
1. I will lose 50 pounds. My knees will be so grateful with every step I take down the Grand Canyon. I can do this and I will. My mind is completely made up.
2. I will continue streaking! My current stats (as of 4/13) are: exercise (6 days), no fast food (64 days), and no binging (7 days).
3. I will track my food. All of it. I will pre-plan as much as possible and will not allow my coworkers to talk me out of my plans more than twice a month.
4. I will eat a healthy mix of carbs, protein, and fat. I will not deprive myself of anything, but will pay attention to my body's needs and will not go nuts anymore over holidays, social occasions and other things. I will be REASONABLE and ACCOUNTABLE. In short, I will be a grown up. :)
5. Get back to strength training. I haven't done much of this and I know it is key. I have free weights, an exercise ball, stretchy bands, a BOSU, and tons of videos and other things. I will plan my workout and DO IT. Three times a week.
4/14 Starting weight: 268.4
1. Tracking calories and eating mostly fresh whole foods and home-cooked meals..
2. Walk 10000 steps a day.
3. Drink at least 4 liters of water a day.
4. Strength train 3 times a week.
5. Blog every day.
Michele, 38, single, redhead, hiker, avid reader, tv watcher and movie lover.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 255.0
Baby steps, my friend! You can do it!!!!!
After my knee injury I started back at the physical therapists with jogging at a 3.8 MPH and that seemed like a really good pace for a slow jog. But remember, you are in control! Don't jog/slog/whatever any faster than YOU are comfortable with! The folks I've seen quit, or get stuck, on beginning to run is 99.9% of the time because they are trying to push it too fast with either speed or frequency.
3x a week at a comfortable, or EASY, pace. You can do it!!!
1324 days ago
Comment edited on: 6/5/2013 10:47:51 AM
Hey there!!! As to C25K - I find that it is easy to get stuck if you try to go too fast. I think when I started I was actually running slower than I could walk! It seemed totally bass ackwards...and it was! But the thing is, your body needs time to adjust. Too often folks want to start running by, welllll, running! Or at least something akin to what you see when you see a person "running". However, when you start off it is very rarely what anyone would call running. It is a slog (slow jog).
It never hurts to try!!
1325 days ago
Thanks for the blog comments and congrats on the loss this week! I'm glad to be back.
1326 days ago
haha! my mom had one fly up her nose too! she screamed behind me, im thinking what?? rattle snake?? what?? damn gnat lol - hey, lets go hiking together sometime. would love company.
1346 days ago
ugh. i have to say, i workout in the mornings just to be able to add calories to my day! i need 1680 to maintain, 1180 to lose a pound a week - theoretically. so i burn between 700-1000 a morning just to bring that back up to something doable. and even when i hit 1900 calories eating, im still always freaking hungry! and yes, i snack - usually peanut butter and banana sandwiches are my snack - and DAMN, i cant fill up!! like, ever! lol trying to find a low cal snack that will fill me up in between - still no luck yet.
1351 days ago