Monday, September 14, 2009
There are a few things that I just have to finally get out of my head - it may upset some people, but these are just observations I have made - from SP and my life. "Heavy" and "thin" are just terms I'm using for generalities made. These thoughts have been rolling around in my head for months...I think it's time to let the universe in on it.
- Going from being thin to heavy (whether over time, age, emotional eating, whatever - could be 5 or 15 pounds + gained or way more): people are generally very negative about their body image, and constantly verbally beat themselves up...they see what "once was" was and dislike themselves now. Those who are working at it & at being healthy are better copers than those who do nothing about it at all.
- Going from always heavy to thin (weight range...just pick one b/c it doesn't matter)- people are very upbeat and supportive of everyone in general, they appreciate the journey that was made and make each day count
- Going from heavy to thin to heavy again (I'm talking major yo-yoers here): the emotional and mental part here is the hardest of all...the self confidence and self love to keep it off, well, was it ever found? There are many that fall into this category - it's wide ranging with it's miriad of reasons for the yo-yo...hard to even write about.
- Going from thin and unfit - to thin and fit - or just thin in general: a category I've observed only slightly because I can/could not relate to the thin part of it all - ever. BUT - what I've seen sort of makes me upset. Please please please...do not beat yourselves up over a bit of cellulite or the fact the your size 2 or 4 jeans are snug. You are envied by many who struggle to even get to 150 or even 200 for that matter. Be healthy and fit - that's all you have to do.
- The "fitness junkies" - thin or heavy, it doesn't matter - love and respect you people a lot...but don't beat yourselves up over a bad eating day please, especially if it's once in a blue moon. And make sure you eat enough cals too or your body won't give up those pounds you want gone.
- Age as a factor - "If I knew at 16, what I know now...." Accepting the aging process is a part of life...and from what I've observed, we can fight the age clock with diet and exercise, BUT to beat yourself up over 10 lbs gained because you had a baby and you are 30 is a little silly, not to mention counterproductive...the body tends to change every ten years...expect it and embrace it and take it from there...which leads me to the next....
- Body acceptance - whatever your body is right now, guess what...it's yours. It does many wonderful things and we have to acknowledge that in order to take care of it properly...AND it can do many wonderful things if challenged, whatever weight you are, whevever your physical starting point is. It's a major starting point for self-love & it took me a long time to figure that one out.
- This last one is my deal...which might be someone else's deal too...Being on the "thin" end of the spectrum is weird at times...to hear someone you love beat themselves up because they gained some weight is a little hard, and in the same breath they call you skinny is really a mind trip. How do I deal with that?
It's happening more and more...with my sister and my friends. Please note: I was always the quiet, heavy friend. I guess it is their issue because, I hate to tell them, it looks like this body is not done losing it's weight. I'm striving for healthy eating and fitness so I don't feel sick and it's working just fine. Going off of my lifestyle reaps havoc on my system...this is my normal. It is what it is.
Anyway - those were just some observations and reflections - which will probably change in the next year. They overlap here and there, and there are loopholes I'm sure...but like I said, they are general observations from life and from SP pages and boards.
My wish for everyone on the planet is to LOVE themselves as they are, because if you don't love yourself first and foremost, how can you truly love another?
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
These are my closest high school friends...and I swear, even though we only get together a few times...or even just once a year, we laugh and have the best time!
This was just taken at my friend Fred's wedding (next to me)...he's the last of us to finally tie the knot. All of our spouses just add to the fun because they all get along so great...we are truly blessed to have such a group, we truly are.
Right after this was taken...which took us all night long to get (lol)...we had a very funny "AminalHouse-esque" situation of running around the hotel trying to find the location of the bride & groom's hotel room, which for some reason was harder than you might think. We just wanted to slip a gag gift under their door ...imagine our surprise when in the juice aisle of the supermarket, I am eye-level with a REAL METAL PAIR OF HANDCUFFS! (Ages 8+) it said on the box - LOL!!! I couldn't resist! Thus the plan of finding the room. I swear, I have never laughed hard or so much as at us running down a long hallway just to stay hidden from the bride and groom exiting an elevator! So juvenile and so stupid, but so funny at 1am!
Anyway...the wedding of the year is done....and a goal is done as well. Now to the next goal...maintain what I've done thru the holidays...maybe even get back into cardio now that cooler weather is here. I'm not stopping my healthy eating - it's more important even more now that I've been drinking like a fish...and I think I can't do that too much either (dang) because it makes me feel like junk. Next BIG EVENT that I can see - well, that would be my 20 year highschool reunion in 2011...Watch out...I'm going in to that one SMOKIN'!!!!
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Gee, I wish my camera didn't crap out on me though!!! It totally died by the end of the night. Not like I was taking too many pics at that point! I put them in my photogallery, the ones I have. I was Juuuuuust a little bit tipsy....just a bit.
Well, the weather was absolutely HORRIBLE that morning heading out to Montauk Point..but at least there was no traffic in sight. All of the day trippers were gone, so the ride only took and hour and a half. I basically got there and hung out for 3 hours while everyone else had their hair and makeup done. Now, I had NO IDEA how my hair would cooperate, and in the bathroom in the hallway, I absolutely felt queezy and shaky while doing it. But all turned out well...it turned out nice...for my hair at least and I have to admit, I did have the ugly duckling sister thing going on in my head. It's just how I am....very sad , but admittedly true. It's just me and my selfconciousness. BTW - Hubby was going to strangle me if I said another word about it...because he loves me and I'm a "fool for even saying it".
My GOD - professional makeup is like SPACKLE! holy moley! anyway, my little sis did hers that way too, and it looked good, and I kept adding to mine because there you have it - another "ugly duckling, I'm not good enough" moment from me. Told you I am mental.
But wedding pictures finally started before the ceremony, and if I get a few of those, I'll post them too. It was the first time we ever had a wedding with pics before the ceremony....I LOVED IT! After the ceremony, you could reallly relax. The ceremony was beautiful! My sister married my husband's first cousin. She was widowed 4 years ago by my husband's brother....and this cousin was there to help with the baby, and they eventually fell in love. No, people, not one bit of blood relation there at all between the sisters and brothers married, or cousinds, for that matter....it's just how life happened. It makes for quite a family tree though and a very interesting tale to tell....maybe I'll write a novel one day.
The wedding was only 50 people, and right before the ceremony started, we were waiting upstairs...and the rain ceased, and the sun shone on a distant bluff...and the wind died down. A sign from above for sure. A blessing from a first love to his first love on her wedding day to another really great guy whom he loved like a brother.
My sister's son (4 years old) was right by her side when she got married too. It was definitely a family unification. He was tired and pissy and shy, but there was NO WAY that he wasn't going to be with Mommy and Daddy. There was no couples dance, there was no couple walking down the aisle....it was a complete family affair at all points and to see them all dance together was awesome. Very sweet!
As far as the food and service at this place.....as with everything out east on Long Island....it was overpriced just for the ambiance!! the food was OK, the service stunk, and the liquor - well, what place doesn't have Peach Schnapps for a decent Sex on the Beach?!?! Well. the Montauk Yacht Club, that's who! Uggh. That is all I am going to say about that. 5 star resort my a$$! Try 3.
I digress...the liquor was enough to get me housed and take away my inhibitions. My new bro-in-law even flipped me head over heals before I left....and then his cousin tried to do the same! At least his wife said my butt looked good I have no idea if that is true or not....she's kind of a teaser.
The drive back was exhausting!!! Everyone was still partying it up because they all had rooms close by...we, unfortunately had to get back to the sitters, whom I am very lucky to have this night. We got home at 12:45 am. In bed at 1:30am. Up at 6am because of the kids missing us. Loved them & missed them for the last 4 days of working and rehearsing and partying.
Well...that is basically it in a nutshell....I had fun, the bride was beautiful, the groom is a lucky guy and fun was had by all! I'd call that SUCCESS!!!!!!
Now I have 4 days to recouperate until the drive to WV and another wedding of my high school chum....I won't be wearing the black/white dress afterall. Just black....and simple. Maybe for this one I'll straighten my hair...
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
My sister is getting married this Saturday!!! Kind of a black & white affair for 50 people out in Montauk - very fancy!!!! Don't be jealous either...I have to travel an hour and a half in traffic each way just to get there for 2 days worth of wedding stuff....rehearsal and then wedding. NOT looking forward to that part.
ANYWHOOOO - My sister is going to be glammed up...my other sister and SIL will be staying out there as well, and will be pampered too. Thus leaving me to my own devices - which to be completely honest, I am very happy about. The hair has been colored and looks good...the cut, however, is not so nice for an updo anymore . An angular modified bob is not the type of cut the lends itself easy to a half-updo, which I was planning to do. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Looks like I'm heading for a French twist with some sparklies in it.
BUT MAKEUP!!!! OMG - I just raided BB&B's Revlon section for all of their Colorstay makeup! So the next few days, I am going to be a glamazon! Face #1 so far is good...and I have to ask myself: "why have you never tried liquid liner woman?!?" I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! (I'm testing the staying power of all this stuff too. I have to be done up 6 hours before the pictures even start! ) and then I got the new double plumping mascara in blackest black - another OMG!!! WOW! between the 2 products my eyes just POP POP POP!!!!
I'm also a little obsessed with self tanning products. My sisters are all very tan. Just call me the whitest chick on the planet, thank you very much. I HATE IT. So I've been using the Jergens lotion and some bronzer. The compliments I have been getting the last 2 weeks have been astounding! "Have you lost more weight" No people. "Something is different...you look so healthy" It's bronzer. "Wow, how natural!" Yeah - I'm a makeup guru. ROFL LMAO!!! Hopefully in these wedding pics, I'm not orange!!! LOL
OMG! ANOTHER THING I have to ask myself: "WHY in the WORLD had you never owned a strapless bra?" This thing is GREAT! I've bet they have come a long long way, because silicone strips are lining the body of it and it stays up really really well. I highly recommend the Seven way one from Victoria's Secret...it also adds a little plump to the girls, if you catch my drift...they haven't been the same since the downsizing.
So that is my week so far...I'm being "girlie" Tomorrow is work, then work, then travel to rehearsal, then wedding, then recouperate. Then the following weekend we have another wedding in Pittsburgh, 8 hours away! Summer is definitely going out with a very expensive bang!
Get An Email Alert Each Time ANNIEONLI Posts