Thursday, November 20, 2014
Just connected my S.A.T. and, gasp, I am definitely moving in the wrong direction as far as daily activity. Yikes! No time to blog - gotta walk!!
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Background: I first became "allergic" to shopping when I lived in Alaska. For those familiar with the state, I lived in the Mat-Su Valley which is the Alaskan version of a suburb - about 55 miles from Anchorage. I moved there about 30 yrs ago - back when there was only one traffic light between Anchorage and Fairbanks (more or less 300+ miles.) That's when I discovered Nordstrom's (when I felt like driving to Anchorage) and catalog shopping. Today, i'm a big fan of online shopping. I really, really don't like navigating shopping centers, mall, and crowds. All this rambling is setting the scene for yesterday's adventure. I can't believe I had a good time shopping!
The day was spent with my 92 yo Mom and my older sister while my car was being serviced. Our original plan was to make a 60 mile rt to see a juried quilt show. Something we do every year. Mom wasn't feeling quite up to it so we moved to Plan B. This was a maiden voyage to Trader Joe's which recently opened in our area. Being T.J. newbies, we prepared our list by googling Trader Joe favorites. Off we went and, after a bit of confusion with the directions, (why did Google Maps put the red arrow right in the middle of the four-lane??) we found it.
I am happy to report that, at the check out, my shopping basket contained 98% healthy choices such as Chunky guac (made with greek yogurt), Roasted (not fried) eggplant parm, grilled chicken in two flavors, bagged greens & a few fresh veggies. The other 2%??? I did indulge in a package of macaroni and cheese balls. They were completely out of their "famous" mac'n cheese. Fortunately, I managed to completely miss another T.J. fav - cookie butter.
All in all, I was pretty pleased with my choices and look forward to incorporating them in my healthier eating quest. Any Trader Joe's regulars out there who might have favorites to add to my list for my next trip???
Saturday, November 15, 2014
As I promised myself, I am reporting the good, the bad, and otherwise. Today I was up before dawn to drive an hour to meet a friend then drive another hour or so to a workshop. Other than counting four hours of driving as exercise, today will be considered my day of" rest" for the week.
My eating choices ran about 50/50. I ordered a turkey sandwich at lunch but forgot to say "hold the chips"... at least I didn't eat them all. I passed on dessert at lunch but did eat two cookies at break. Things could have been a lot worse.
It struck me today, that when I eat out, I somehow think I should be able to indulge in those things on the menu I can't (or shouldn't) make for myself. I will need to add smart restaurant choices to my growing list of issues to tackle.
On the agenda for tomorrow Nordic Trax and spaghetti squash!
Friday, November 14, 2014
Set off yesterday to do errands which included a trip to the grocery store with my well-constructed list. First stop, however, was at the tire store. I had called ahead, weeks ago, for an appointment to have all four tires swapped for the snow tires in storage. Fortunately, I brought a Christmas-present-in-progress to knit while I waited. What normally is a one hour wait turned into two... then three... and as the four hour mark approached, my car was finally done. Meanwhile, I was ravenous. Unfortunately, I had not eaten a substantial breakfast, skipped lunch while waiting, had a dog waiting patiently for his walk plus choir rehearsal. So you know what happened... there was no healthy snack stashed in my purse (or car glove compartment) but there was a handy-dandy fast-food establishment with a drive-thru right next door to the tire store. I'm not even a big fan of said establishment but when you are ready to eat your steering wheel cover and in a hurry - anything will do.
Moral of the story: always be prepared
P.S. Those emergency snacks have been added to today's trip to the grocery store.
Get An Email Alert Each Time BARBARAJ73 Posts