Friday, February 28, 2014
For February, I used hard data to set goals and track my progress.
Goals - did I meet them?
PAWS shifts (the no-kill shelter where I volunteer) - goal was 8, I did 7.
Running miles - goal was 25, actual mileage was 29.37. I am thrilled about this number, especially given how stinkin' cold it was this month! I got out there and ran in all kinds of weather - snow, cold, rain, sun, wind... every day running in the winter is a day closer to spring!
Apples for workout days - goal was 23, actual was 15. Sigh... while running was pretty consistent, my trips to the gym were not.
- I lost 3.4 pounds this month! I seriously cleaned up my diet (no dairy, no added sugar, almost totally vegetarian, no processed foods) and am feeling great. I am drinking water like crazy, and it took me less than a week for my body to get used to this way of eating. I wanted to be realistic for my life, though. I did go out to eat a few times, I had some dessert, and I had some drinks. The most important diet change for me is eliminating dairy - my skin is SOOO much better because of it, so when I went out, I stuck to the no dairy rule.
- My sleeping improved like crazy! As part of my diet cleanse, I eliminated caffeine/coffee. I can't say that this was the only reason I've been sleeping much better, but I imagine that it's certainly helped! I'm sleeping a full eight hours a night, hardly ever hit the snooze button, and no more nighttime snacking. I didn't give up coffee cold turkey - I knew if I tried that I'd end up with horrible migraines (it's happened to me before). I had some decaf in the fridge, so I changed the ratio of caf:decaf for about two weeks until I was finally done with the coffee. I still have a cup of green tea in the morning, but the caffeine level in that is so negligible that I gladly make this part of my new diet.
6 PAWS shifts. I will be away next week, so I adjusted this number. Starting when I get back, I will be taking photos of the adoptable animals to post online. I'm super excited about this, and it will add more volunteer hours!
20 apples - I REALLY knocked this down from February's goal. I gave myself two rest days a week instead of one; I'm anticipating that with the nicer weather (I hope!) I'll want to get out of the house more and walk to the gym. It was really difficult for me to get motivated to leave the house when it was below 20F, which happened quite often this month. For March I'm going to write my gym workouts into my schedule, like any other commitment I have.
75 miles running - While this is a big jump from February's 25 miles, I know enough to pay attention to my body and take care of it. I am training for the Broad Street Run, a 10-mile run on May 4th. I am primarily working to increase my miles, so speedwork is not part of my training. And since the run is pretty much downhill, I won't be training hills either. This might be some relatively easy training!
90% food tracking - either writing it in my wellness journal or logging on Spark. This number comes from my successful 89% tracking rate in February, which I'm sure contributed to the scale pointer moving down this month. In days, I aim for 28/31 days tracking food. Looks like I'm taking my food journal on vacation!
So there they are - results and goals, hard data. I feel kind of like I did when I first started Sparking, which is a really good feeling. I'm using the goal-setting principles Spark suggests and I'm making an effort to participate in my teams a little more regularly.
Thursday, February 27, 2014
I almost put off today's run until tomorrow - I'm glad I didn't. Tomorrow is going to be ridiculously cold. This morning at 7:00am it was about 19F, tomorrow at 7:00am it's going to be 5F, with a windchill of -7F. I'm a trooper, but -7 is a bit too much for me!
Today's good things:
- I drank lots of water
- My nutrition was great!
- I had a fun toddler class this evening - everyone left smiling, and nobody got hurt!
So next week I will be in Florida, and I'm anticipating a bit of a challenge with the eating thing. I am definitely not going to inconvenience my in-laws with stocking up on "my" kind of food, but I do want to keep my diet in mind. It will be interesting to notice if I feel any different when I am not so careful about what I'm eating.
It's only 9:00 but I am exhausted. Time for a hot bath and then hit the hay.
Sunday, February 23, 2014
If this morning's run was any indication of how the rest of the day will go, it's going to be great! I got 8 hours of sleep last night - it's so much easier to run with a full night of sleep behind me - I had a cup of pre-run ginger tea, I warmed up, and I was out the door. The sun was shining, the wind was low, and I ended up doing 2.5 miles at a 9:50 AP. What an improvement - the combo of sleep, nutrition, and regular workouts is making a difference!
- lots of water!
- do photography class assignment
- enjoy the day with hubs - it's his day off
Friday, February 21, 2014
I am ALL ABOUT the easy meals. I have to admit, I think it would have been very hard for me to change my diet so (relatively) quickly without my chef husband. He loves cooking healthy for me, and he loves being challenged by my requests - no added sugar, dairy-free, unprocessed grains, vegetarian as much as possible... I tend to flounder when he's not around, walking across the street for pizza or a banh mi. So when I find an easy, delicious meal, I get really excited. And I love to share!
Tuna Artichoke Salad
- one can tuna (I use 365 albacore in water, no added salt)
- artichoke hearts (hubs roasted some today, but they are super easy to find in a can)
- cooked onion (really easy to saute some of these babies up)
- mustard to taste
- olive oil (I used a little drizzle, you can also use some mayo or vegannaise)
- S&P to taste
- thyme to taste
dump it all in a bowl and VOILA! Dinner!
Today was another good day for my eating. The family I tutor sent me away with a snack pack of Chips Ahoy and, yes, I ate it. It fit in with my calories (not the clean eating part, but I'm not sweating it. It was portion controlled.) and I walked the two miles home because it was a nice night. I was all ready to take the bus, but I got outside and just kept walking. Hallelujah for the break from the cold today!
Hubs and I booked our flight to Florida today. I cannot WAIT. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go, but things worked out and I was able to get a week away!
I think I'll have a banana as my sweet and then it's time to relax! Happy Friday!
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts