Saturday, March 19, 2011
This is the second day in a row where I have come home from work/errands/shopping and crashed on the couch. I slept for about two hours tonight when I came home, and I did the same thing last night. I don't know if I'm fighting something off or if I just really need sleep, but either way, I've been sleeping a lot lately!
Today I met my best friend for lunch - I totally pigged out on a delicious burger and fries, and a piece of cherry crumb a la mode for dessert. YUM. So wonderful. I couldn't possibly eat anything after that, so that was just about it for eating today.
Not much to say... I'm excited about Spring!!!!
Friday, March 18, 2011
So after a couple glasses of wine, my thoughts are coming rapidly and in list form.
- This meditation class I've been taking has been wonderful. I feel much more calm in general, and I have been even MORE positive. A few colleagues and my principal commented today on my positive attitude.
- I haven't been taking much stock in the scale lately, instead going by how my clothes fit and how I feel. Today I wore a super-cute outfit and felt great. I feel strong - I've been consistent at the gym, and my eating habits are improving every day.
- Breakfasts have been smaller - which I think is a good thing for me. My tea is filling me up (is that weird?) so I've been sticking with a piece of fruit and usually a small something else. I have been going between eating big breakfasts and small ones. My body is telling me what to do.
- The no coffee thing is going really well. I never intended to give up coffee, but since I didn't drink any when I was sick anyway, I thought I'd see if I could give up the morning joe. It wasn't that I didn't like coffee anymore, but I wanted to see if I could get away from being addicted to the caffeine. It scared me a little bit when I had a horrible migraine from a caffeine withdrawal. So far the tea has been doing it for me.
- Brad and I are planning a trip into Manhattan. I can't wait! I LOVE LOVE LOVE New York City. I love the busy-ness. I love the food. I love the walking. I love the parks. I love the shopping. I love the fact that you can get almost anything you want! I love that I can be myself and a little bit extra. I love people watching.
- JASR is SOOOOO close and I can't wait!!!!
- My date-nut cake is just about ready for some icing. I am SO excited for a big piece tonight.
- I ate chips for dinner tonight and don't feel bad about it. I had some fruit, too, so all is well.
- The Man Workout is amazing. I can't believe how awesome it makes me feel.
- I have re-discovered my love for shopping. I am no longer thinking "well, I'll lose about 10 more pounds... blah blah blah." NO. I am fabulous now and I will dress like I am.
- I really have to ice my date nut cake. It's ridiculously good. The icing is ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. From The New Moosewood Cookbook. That cookbook is like my bible!
- I got two really really nice compliments from my colleagues today. One was that my student input forms were always thorough - the ones I have to fill out for kids being evaluated. The other one was from the secretary - she told me that I was her favorite music teacher out of all the ones she's worked with (and she'd been doing this a long time!) because I have such good interaction with the kids. What a wonderful day.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
I can't even believe it. Yesterday I made it to the gym right after school. One of the busiest times of the day and I went. I left IMMEDIATELY after bus duty - didn't stop to talk to anyone - and that seems to be the key. Nobody saying "wow what a day - I'm going to go home and crash! I can't possibly do anything else!" Nope - just busting out to the gym to get my muscles on.
My gym has a cardio room and then a weight room with machines on one side, and free weights on the other. I like to call the free weight area "The Man Side of the Gym." Very rarely do I see women over there, except to grab some weights and retreat over to the machine side. Well, since I started this new workout program, I don't have a choice but to go to The Man Side. I have to get the Olympic size bar. And I have to get the weights to go on it.
So last night it was me and about ten muscle-y men on The Man Side. I grabbed the bar for some deadlifts, and The Juice Guy Who is Really Sexy commented on my workout. I think he was secretly impressed at my Man Workout. I have to admit, I like The Man Workout. I loved doing those deadlfts last night, and I did shoulder pressed with 20-pound dumbbells. I am up to holding 20 pounds in each hand for my lunges. I love this strength I have! I'm excited for arm-baring weather so I can show off my guns. I think I'll have to start thinking about this more as it gets warmer. Eye on the prize!
But really, I didn't have much of a choice last night about the gym. There was a baby shower yesterday, and I just went KABOOM!!!! I thought "well, I won't eat breakfast since there will be stuff there." The problem was that I didn't know *what* stuff would be there, so I couldn't plan. So I just took a bunch of food. Ugh. And then it was on the faculty room table. So of course I ate more at lunch. Ugh again. Didn't plan dinner, so I ate a tuna sandwich on some gross bread (I was eating plain white bread when I was sick) when I could have gotten away with eating some fruit and yogurt.
*Note to self - planning is SUPER important.
Today is a new day though. And since I can't live in the past, I will use today as a detox day. Breakfast was oats with frozen raspberries, lunch is some veggie hash I made last night, yogurt and fruit, and dinner is lamb with potatoes and frozen veg. A plan!
- water water water! Yesterday was the first day in a LONG time where I drank all my water. It felt good.
- stick to the eating plan. Keep in my head how awful I felt after eating all those refined carbs -not today!
- go for a run after school. It's going to be beautiful WAHOO!!!! this afternoon - a perfect night for a run.
- make lunch for tomorrow.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
What a great line. And it's been popping up everywhere... like it's a sign for me.
I'm glad I have all of you. Really, truly, I am. I am just about over my muffins sticking to the liners, and I'm ready for the day.
Tonight is meditation class. I think doing this meditation thing has really helped me find some inner calm... and it's not like I wasn't calm before, but I'm even more calm now. Like yesterday, I had a kindergarten girl tell me "you look better in your glasses." In the past, (and yes, I realize that kindergarten kids just *say* things) I would have told her "oh, that's not very nice to say" (I think this is the old insecure me coming up whenever someone says something about my looks - even 6 year olds). Instead, I said "well, which ones do you like better? The black or the red?"
This was a big step for me. Staying calm is helping with my teaching and it's helping with other aspects of my life, too. At the gym on Monday, all the squat machines were taken up. My first instinct was to go over to the cardio room and do some elliptical until a machine was free. But I didn't have the time for that, and I was on a mission. So I grabbed two 25-pound dumbbells, threw them up on my shoulders, and did some squats that way.
Gym stuff is packed for after school - I am doing "Workout B" from The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love doing the "man" workouts in the book. I have never felt so sore (in a good way) from a workout. And it's funny - it's me and about 6 muscley-men in the free weight area and I love it.
- The no coffee thing for "Lent" is going well. I have been enjoying my PG Tips in the morning!
- I got some new eye cream - Origins Night-a-Mins for Eyes. I have been using it for about a week, and I notice that my under-eye area is so much more firm than it was. Score one for consistency!
- Spring is coming!!!!!
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
I baked muffins tonight for a baby shower tomorrow. I thought it would be really cute to put them in baby muffin liners... they have little footprints on them and are super cute. The problem is, the muffins don't really come off of the liners. :(
I tried a lemon muffin for quality control (they taste really good!) but I was disappointed that the muffin didn't come out of the liner very easily. There was a bit of muffin left on the liner. I don't have time (or the ingredients) to make another batch, so I guess I just need to suck it up.
What I'm really asking for is a little pity. Please tell me that I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I need to and nobody will really care that the muffins stuck. They taste really good and they look really delicious, it's just that they stick. Bleh.
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts