Sunday, August 14, 2011
My earlier blog was about how annoyed I was today. Well, two good things happened since then!
1) The police arrested the guy who broke into our house! The whole thing started on Thursday with a phone call from a neighbor, and I contacted the police and they took it from there. They got a search warrant and found our iPad (yahoo!) and our laptop (it's really old, but it's still nice that it's found!). The thief attempted to scratch off Brad's name on the back of the iPad, but when the police called me today, they said they could still read his name. I am SOOOO relieved you don't even know. I am actually shedding a little tear because I am so happy. It's so nice to have a little closure. I didn't imagine that it would feel like this to have this guy caught. I'll be getting a subpoena in the mail soon and I have a court date coming up to testify that no, this guy did not have permission to take my stuff.
2) The siding guy got back to me and we are going to meet to sign some paperwork and schedule the siding repair! I am THRILLED about this. The stupid siding saga has been going on since we moved into this house about three years ago. When we bought the house, our inspector told us that the siding was in serious need of repair. We were told by quite a few sources that the siding would be "taken care of." Our house is a townhome and four units are connected, so we all have to work together for the siding. Long long long story short, after years of fighting with the association, we are finally allowed to get our unit's siding repaired. Yippee!
I am in such a better mood than I was earlier. I actually did a little housework - got some rooms vacuumed and ready for Brad's parents to visit on Tuesday. They are bringing us a new TV. Our TV now is one of their REALLLLLLLY OLD TVs that we've had for about seven years. It's so old that it weighs over 200 pounds (no lie - actually over 200 pounds) and it makes a little "eeeeeeee" noise when it's been on for a long time. We don't have cable, so we weren't sweating it too much... but it's nice to be getting a new TV! Well, new to us, anyway. Brad's parents had it for a little bit but something was wrong with the HD receiver. Since we don't get HD anyway, it doesn't matter to us if the HD doesn't work. So they bought a new TV and we are getting this one! Hooray!
I think this calls for a hot bath.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
I love a good Caprese salad in the summer. Tomatoes and basil courtesy of our CSA share, mozzarella from the store. Balsamic on top... what a perfect summer dish. Of course, when I feel like having something a little bit more, I turn it into this:
It's easy when there is bread dough in the fridge! We have a book called _Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day_. I'm telling you - it's one of the best things to happen to us. The bread is SOOOOO ridiculously easy to make (really - no kneading, no mixer, just a wooden spoon!) and it keeps in the fridge for up to three weeks! Amazing. So I had some whole wheat-flaxseed bread in the fridge, and it made a perfect pizza crust. Well, almost perfect. I prefer the olive oil-whole wheat dough, but this was still really tasty.
I had to stop at the store this afternoon to pick up just a few things to supplement our veggies - I got lemons (lemon juice to make gazpacho, which is chilling in the fridge right now), mozzarella for Caprese salads and pizzas, and chocolate chips to make chocolate-zucchini cake, which is in the oven right now. Since the zucchini came from the farm, that means it's healthy, right?
Don't worry, I plan on taking a big chunk of it to our neighbor. He came over this evening to help me with an electrical question. I bought two motion sensor lights; I decided I was going to install them myself. I ran into a little snag and had to wait for our neighbor to get home to ask him what to do. Problem solved - but now there is a thunderstorm and I don't really want to work on the electricity while it's lightning! It can wait until tomorrow.
My poor tomatoes, my delicious tomatoes... we have SO many from the farm, and they were all going to waste. With Brad working all the time, I tend to feel sorry for myself a lot. I'm working on *not* feeling this way, and one of the things that helps is for me to cook. I was a cooking and chopping machine today - gazpacho, pizza, zucchini cake... and tomorrow I'm going to make more. Gordon Ramsay has some great tomato ideas in his book Healthy Appetite (page 125!).
I had a great workout this morning. I did some crazy strength training, and then I did a 15 minute interval workout on the TM for good measure. I feel so much better when I get in a good workout. One of my most exciting moments today was during my squat/push press exercise. (Front squat with barbell and then at top of squat, push the bar overhead.) I was able to do this with 60 pounds today! (45 pound bar and 7.5 pounds on each side) It is a super hard exercise, but I feel so strong when i do it. I have to admit I was getting a little distracted today looking at my muscles in the mirror! Ha!
Came home, showered, and went out for the lights and the groceries. Traffic around here is a freaking nightmare so I was SUPER gretzy when I came home. But I didn't go eating crazy - I made up my pizza like I planned. Phew!
Got in all my water today - yay! I had just about all of it during my workout. I can't believe how much water I go through at the gym!
Time to finish up my water and straighten up a little bit... Brad's parents are coming up on Tuesday for dinner and to bring us a new TV (hooray!) and I have to get the house ready.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
I am so pumped I could burst. My neighbor called me today for a couple reasons - they are all good.
1) I can schedule the siding guy to come and repair our siding. FINALLY. As un-excited as I am to be shelling out over 10K to have it fixed, I am SUPER excited to have it fixed up and looking great.
2) There is new information about the break-in that happened in June! I'm not getting into details, but I have a feeling that some good things are going to happen soon. Keep your fingers crossed!
- I did my run this morning. I did 3 minutes run, 2 minutes walk. It felt good. I mean, good in a "my legs are like lead from yesterday's strength training but I'm still running" good.
- It's sunny and not humid!!!
- I am going to meet my brother for dinner tonight, after I exchange some pants and a shirt and look for some new khakis. It takes me forever to find a good pair of khakis! I like to find them with a straight pocket in the front - the side pockets often stick out. Ugh.
- My hair is getting longer and I am not sick of it! I am experimenting with some new products and I found one I really like (Paul Mitchell The Cream Styling Conditioner, BTW).
- I went to my dermatologist on Tuesday, and in their skin center, I got a makeup consultation. I found some makeup I absolutely LOVE so I'll be ordering it before school starts (Jane Iredale Dream Tint, BTW). I have a facial scheduled for next Wednesday. I can't wait!!!
- Got some new sheets yesterday. Our cousins (well, my in-law (!) cousins, Brad's *real* cousins) sent us a very nice check for our marriage. I can't wait to wash them and put them on... 630 thread count, woot woot!
Time to get ready... I want to get my shopping done *before* dinner. Nothing is worse (well, there are worse things) than trying on khakis after you eat.
Have a super sparky day!
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts