Wednesday, February 06, 2013
I am having a skinny day today. The scale was kind to me (although, I have to admit, it wasn't really a surprise as I've been working out like crazy and doing really well with tracking my food), my outfit makes me look very small, and even my ankles look good. Ha!
I ran six miles yesterday. It was freezing outside, the clouds didn't open up AT ALL, but I felt great! I took it easy - I listened to my body, paid attention to my breathing, slowed down when I felt I was pushing too hard... yesterday's run really made me feel like I'm going to be able to run this half marathon in May!
Running in the cold sucks. But it's really making me look forward to spring. I think for the last few years I've just been taking spring running for granted. But not this year. I've stepped up my running, getting out there in all kinds of crazy weather, and so spring is going to be extra-glorious for me this year. I can't WAIT until the first day I can wear a running skirt, sleeveless top and my arm warmers!
- drink lots of water. This winter has been extra-hard on my skin, so I need to get some hydration back.
- cross train and strength train at the gym. I'm planning on some swimming and some whole-body circuit type stuff.
- read my school law assignment. I have SO MUCH reading to do this semester. I guess that's what happens as a full time graduate student. I do NOT want to fall behind. Luckily, I love to read non-fiction and research articles. Yes, I am an education nerd.
Sunday, February 03, 2013
I truly feel like a real REAL runner today. According to intellicast, the temperature was 17F when I went for my run this morning. And you know what? I was hardly even cold! I was when I started, of course, but by the end I was perfectly toasty. All morning I was groaning about the run I had to do... it ended up being a fantastic 3.55 miles. I took a little drive so the second half would be downhill - I think this may end up being one of my new favorite running routes. There were three cars on my whole trip, two wiener dogs, and a border collie. The sun came out on my way back and I could even take my neck gaiter away from my face!
For 17 degrees I wore:
- UnderArmour compression tights (Cold Gear)
- fleece-lined running pants
- sleeveless top
- UnderArmour Cold Gear mock neck
- wind-proof jacket
- hat, mittens, neck gaiter
It was perfect! In fact, my hands got a little warm at the end, but it wasn't bad. I can't wait to bundle up and do it again.
- pack my school stuff for the next two days
- drink lots of water
- get some healthy snacks ready to take to my mom's house
Saturday, February 02, 2013
I wrote in a previous diary that I felt as if *my* New Year was really at the end of January, since I started three grad classes and feel like I'm finally moving on with my life. I have so much momentum right now - I've been getting in TONS of fitness minutes, I've been ramping up the cardio, and my time at the gym has been awesome. My strength training workouts have been KILLER!
And (knock on wood) I have finally started to bust through my plateau. I had been sitting comfortably (*too* comfortably?) around 150-152 for many many months and I felt like my goal of getting into the 130's was totally out of reach. But the something happened. I can't exactly pinpoint when or what it was, but I got back into tracking my food consistently, I upped the cardio A LOT, I started going to the gym after school if I had to get in a workout... and it's been working! On my last weigh-in, I was 145.7. Holy moly. I am so thrilled.
And even though it's only five pounds, that five pounds has been so much more than a number. My size range has gone from a 6-8 to a 4-6 (hurrah!) and my running pace has improved. At the beginning of the month, I was running an average 11:15 pace (about) when doing my short runs. For the last week, my average time has been around 10:15-10:30 mpm. And this is for non-races! I am excited about the possibility of breaking a 30:00 5K this year.
Things to work on in February:
- resisting the call of take-out at my mom's house. When I'm there for class, I've been a little too quick to agree to order dinner. I want to nip this bad habit in the bud before it makes a home on my belly and thighs.
- Continue my awesome running schedule. I ended up with 47.95 miles run in January and would really really really love to get to a solid 50 in February. I'm starting out right - tomorrow I have a group run for half marathon training; we are going for 6. I'm looking forward to running in the snow!
- Have a more consistent weekly workout routine. I have been going from week to week, and it's been ok, but I think my muscles would thank me for some consistent work and rest.
- Reward myself with a new gadget! If I can hit 50 miles running this month, I'm going to buy a Garmin. I've made it this far without one, but as my training ramps up and as I really get back into running, I think it would be good for me to get one.
OK so that's about it. I hear that the groundhog didn't see his shadow, so early spring it is! Bring it on! I can't wait to log some miles on my running shoes!
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts