Tuesday, August 10, 2010
I often have trouble sticking to a plan for more than a week. I get bored, i don't see the results I want... but this time it's going to be different. I laid out a plan for August, and I'm going to stick to it.
As much as I like to make lists and plan, it was nice not having to come up with a whole new plan for this week. Tweak the protein number, and that was it.
Today I will:
Go into school for a little bit to drop off some stuff.
Drink a ton of water.
Stick to the eating plan (I even planned my snacks for today!)
Get to the gym this afternoon for Power Zen and a TM run. My muscles need a rest from weight training - I did a lot yesterday.
Try to relax a little bit - my honey reminded me that I need to take a little time for myself before school starts.
Sunday, August 08, 2010
Just some things...
Friday's wedding was beautiful. Bride was gorgeous. Had the vegetarian meal - delish. Did well with the open bar and dessert buffet.
Saturday I spent time shopping with mom instead of going for a bike ride - it was nice though; we don't go shopping together too often, so it was definitely worth it. Got some cute new tops to transition into fall.
Yesterday's eating was all over the place, though. I went out for breakfast and lunch, and dinner was not the planned stir-fry, but instead a PB&J and some crackers. And two cookies. Bleh... but today I am ready to get back on track and have some super delish and healthy food.
This week's goal is to have 70 grams of protein a day. I just snacked on some Greek yogurt, and I had my milk for breakfast, so I'm already over half-way there. i feel like eating more protein during the day is keeping me from getting snacky after dinner.
Made a zucchini bread this morning - most of it is going into the freezer. It's nice to have individual pieces of a sweet for when the mood strikes.
Later today I am going to make some carrot-potato soup for the freezer. We have lots of carrots, and I'd like to use most of them up for the soup. I've been doing really well using up our veggies from the farm; with honey working so much, it has been a challenge for me to figure out what to do with everything.
I had originally planned on going to the gym today, but if I don't get there, I'm not going to sweat it. Today is a day with my honey (he's home for most of the day), and I want to take advantage of that. Maybe I'll take my bike up to the mountain for a little ride around there... it's a beautiful day!
Off to do some grocery shopping...
Friday, August 06, 2010
Starting over with some new goals was the best thing I did in a long time. I set some concrete goals for August, not just "lose weight" or "eat more protein." I gave myself some specific numbers for goals, and I think it's working. When faced with a piece of delicious peach pie for dessert last night, I thought about the numbers.
Will it help me lose one pound? No, especially after eating pancakes with syrup for breakfast.
Will it help me get to my protein goal? Not as much as some Greek yogurt will.
So I made a choice. And my choice felt good. I CHOSE not to eat the peach pie. It stared me in the face, and I chose to turn it away. I CHOSE to have Greek yogurt with blueberries instead. I chose that because I also chose to have pancakes for breakfast. But along with choosing the pancakes, I also chose not to have bacon or sausage with the pancakes. I really felt mentally strong making those choices.
A good friend of mine is getting married tonight. She was telling me about all the wonderful desserts they ordered, so I am going to have to be strong tonight. The scale was good to me this morning, so I think that will help me to keep in control. I am staying at my mom's house tonight - the wedding site is really close - and I'm going down there this afternoon to meet my brother for lunch. It's going to be a day of eating out... so lots of water, fruit and veggies to compensate.
Today (it's a light list today):
Drink tons of water.
Keep in mind that everything I eat and do is a choice.
Got my swim in early this morning - I knew I wouldn't get any "real" workout in later, so I thought "well, I better go now." I'm glad I did - tomorrow I'm planning an afternoon bike ride, so I will get my fitness minutes in this week.
Off to get ready...
Thursday, August 05, 2010
But this is a good spiral!
I have been frustrated - while everyone around me seems to be posting "____ lost 1 (or 2, or 3) pounds!", I feel like I am stuck at the same weight. I *know* the scale isn't the only way to gauge my progress, but it's still frustrating.
So this morning I read one of the Spark Blogs about busting through the plateau. After I read it, I decided to take a look at my "Weight Over Time" tracker. It went back to August 19th of 2009, about one year ago. My weight then was 153. Last time I was on the scale, it was 148. So slowly, ever so slowly, but surely, my weight has been going down. And even thought it's been moving at a snail's pace, I am living a lifestyle I *know* I can keep living for the rest of my life.
- The weight line on my tracker is moving in the right direction.
- My coffee tastes especially good today (after two big glasses of red wine with dinner last night)
- I didn't go totally nuts at dinner last night (went out with honey's parents). I left food on my plate, which I hardly *ever* do. I even stuck with one piece of bread! (And the bread was good - it's made daily by my honey at his restaurant.)
- I am finding really great ways to get more protein in my diet. A glass of skim milk is great for me, and actually, the skim milk doesn't taste too bad. In fact, I kind of like it. High protein, no fat? I'll take it!
- Having specific weight goals for the month is keeping me on track. I have thought about my goal often this week - "Will eating that cookie get me to my goal weight?" and I go for the apple or yogurt instead. Or, more often, I go for the water.
- Have specific fitness minute goals is helping me, too. Even though I may not make my calories-burned goal (I think I'm going to adjust this - it's been so hot and I just can't bear the thought of a 2 hour bike ride in this heat and humidity), I am working toward my fitness minutes goal. At this point, for me, getting the minutes in is more important than the calories burned. I can easily adjust my nutrition goals - getting the routine of fitness minutes in is important to establish now so I can continue the trend when I go back to school.
- Honey is still noticing differences in my body, and I am too! My legs are looking more toned all the time, my arms are looking much better...
- I met a friend for coffee the other day, and he said "you look good, I can tell you're still losing weight." and he pointed to his mid-section. And if *he* notices, I *know* I must be. He doesn't make up stuff like that.
So for all this nonsense about the stubborn scale, I guess I'm still doing a pretty good job. I've been totally consistent with workouts, and I am feeling good about my nutrition.
Drink tons of water.
Get in some good cardio and ST before my stretch class tonight.
Schedule my next session with the trainer.
Make dill pickles.
Enjoy going out to breakfast. (to me, this means not agonizing over the menu. The place we're going has FANTASTIC homemade pancakes, and I just love them. Do I need the bacon with the pancakes? No. Tomorrow is weigh-in day, but not eating delicious pancakes the day before I get on the scale just isn't my style. Ha! Tonight I'll work my butt off at the gym.)
Off for a little walk around the neighborhood...
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts