Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Sometimes I have random sounds going through my head. I think it's from being an elementary music teacher... we are always making crazy sounds. So "doot doot doot" it is.
Haven't really thought about September goals yet... I think I'll wait until this weekend (it's a long weekend) to work on them. I have been focusing on my new routine and back to school, so I haven't really gotten a chance to plan any further ahead.
But some reflections on my first week back at school:
- Water has been GREAT. I am drinking so much water! Yahoo!
- Eating schedule is good so far. I've had one or two snacks during the day, a cup of hot tea after lunch so I don't eat anything else, and I've stayed within my calorie range this week. I am back to keeping an eye on nutrition - those snacks add up quickly.
- Morning workouts = an energetic Carrie. I have had so much energy, even at the end of the day, and it's thanks to my 6am workouts. I am going to continue the Monday Wednesday Friday morning thing and the Tuesday Thursday after-school thing - the good classes are on Tuesday and Thursday.
- My attitude is so positive. I don't ever feel like complaining about my job - last year it was so easy for me to complain about stuff, but I don't even feel like it. I really really love my job and I am very lucky to be at a place I love.
- I have really made an effort to get everything done that I have to get done BEFORE i go to the couch. As soon as I hit the couch, I call it a night. I don't want to start the "I'll just do it tomorrow morning" thing. I like sitting with my coffee too much and getting my morning workouts in to add something else to my morning time.
More specific goals to come. I am going to add in some new classes at the gym and start training for a race in the fall (just a 5K).
Off to put the tomato sauce in the freezer... tomatoes are slowly dwindling, but they are still taking over the kitchen.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
I am a dork - I LOVE when the new gym schedule comes out. The last week of the month I am like a hawk looking out for the new schedule. Well today was the day. I went to yoga and spotted the September schedule. I made a beeline for it. Later I am going to highlight the classes I want to take. ha!
So September is going to be filled with kickboxing, power yoga, stretch class, and something called "Intensity." The schedule looks GREAT so I'm super excited!
I got a compliment from one of the kindergarten teachers today (the male!). He said "it really looks like you slimmed down." And here I was thinking nothing happened over the summer. Yahoo!
- drank a ton of water
- stuck to the eating plan (I'm getting used to my schedule. It's tough, but it will be very good for me.)
- was positive
- had an awesome kindergarten class. I LOVE teaching kindergarten music - it's my favorite grade to teach. I think if I had to teach a different class, it would be kindergarten.
- Wore a fun sweater with some boats on it. I got lots of compliments on it - it's definitely staying in the rotation. (it's not full of cheesy boats - yes, I teach elementary school, but I refuse to wear shirts/dresses/jumpers with cartoon characters or weird motifs. I'll save that for when I'm old.) It's one of those Talbots sweaters... I guess Talbots is a little "old" (is it?) but I think I can rock the boat sweater. I also have a cardigan with lemons on it from Talbots that will make it's way out pretty soon... maybe tomorrow.
- I got lots of hugs from kiddos. I totally forgot how much I love to get hugs from elementary kids.
- totally relaxed during yoga. It was SOOOO good tonight.
So I still need to get my stuff ready for tomorrow... shouldn't take too long. Tomorrow morning is a gym morning - a little strength training. I only go for about 1/2 an hour, but it's good for my energy level.
Off to eat something sweet and clean up my dinner...
Saturday, August 28, 2010
When I was in high school and all through college, I had a serious shopping problem. I racked up HUGE credit card bills and had more clothes than I knew what do with. I bought clothes because it made me feel better in the moment. I was fat and unhappy, so finding *something* that fit was always a small victory for me.
It took a long long long time to pay off my credit cards, but I did it. I have since become much more careful with how I spend my money, and I can also afford to be more picky about my clothes, since I no longer have to buy something just because it fits over my ass.
So the guilt part of this blog. My mom and dad are very different when it comes to spending (which was part of the reason for their divorce). My mom spends her money freely - if she wants something, she buys it. This has led to her buying tons of clothes (I think for the same reason I used to buy tons of clothes, but I digress) and my dad had always spent his money carefully. He doesn't buy tons of stuff, but when he does, it's something he really wants and something of high quality.
My honey comes from a family of money - his parents sent him to boarding school - and he's gotten pretty much anything he's wanted. I think he is rebelling against this; he doesn't spend his money. At all. We are saving up for moving, retirement, etc. and that's all fine and good, but I think there is a point where spending your money is not only a not-bad thing, but a good thing. I have worked very hard to be earning what I am and working at the job I am, and I can afford to go shopping now. Sometimes I feel guilty when I go shopping for myself - like I should be saving every penny. But I'm tired of drilling holes in my belts. I'm tired of agonizing over every little purchase. I feel responsible enough that I can buy some new clothes and fin stuff every once in a while, but I know my limits.
So today is a planned shopping day. I have some coupons (yes, I use coupons for clothes shopping!) that I want to use, and I would love to get some clothing that shows off what I've worked so hard for (not the job, but the working out).
The weird thing is that I bring this all on myself. My honey doesn't get upset when I come home with stuff - he tells me if it looks good or not and reminds me that for my job I need to look professional and put together. I'm scared that I'll go back into my old spending ways, where I rack up thousands of dollars in debt. If you've never been in that much credit card debt, it's a horrible feeling.
Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. Who knows.
Bike is packed - I'm going to do some riding down at my mom's today. Her church is getting a new pastor, and she wants me to meet her, so I think I'm going to bike to the church this afternoon. It's only about 4 miles away, so it's a great way to get in some activity today. It's supposed to be a really nice day, too. Yahoo!
- NO GUILT over buying a new belt
- make reasonably healthy nutrition choices
- be positive
Friday, August 27, 2010
This morning i went to my trainer. This was how it went:
1/2 a mile on the stairclimber.
.75 mile on the TM
.75 mile on the elliptical.
Continue with circuit training:
- weighted hula hoop (I am the WORST hula hooper in the world, apparently. I think I need to get one to practice at home.)
- crunches on a ball with a resistance band
- shoulder press
- jump rope
- back extensions
- bicep curls
- crunches on a little ball (whoo-wee they were hard!)
- pushing the weighted thing across the room (think football drills)
- core work with slidey things for my feet
- step ups with dumbbells
- tricep dips
AAAAHHHH I got my butt kicked today, for sure. It was such a great workout. It was hard, but it felt great.
Came home, ate some lunch (a bacon, cabbage, and tomato sandwich - delish!). Took a nap, went to go pick up my veggies. Got tons more tomatoes, three melons, and some other good stuff. Heated up some chicken mole in a tortilla for dinner. Enjoyed a glass of wine. Did some other stuff in there - vacuumed, some school stuff...
Trainer took my measurements today, including weight and body fat%. BF% went down, but weight did not. I was, honestly, a little disappointed. I got so many wonderful compliments yesterday and I am feeling stronger, but, I was still a little bummed. So when I came home, I looked back on my blogs to see what was going on. I noticed that I wrote an awful lot about how I didn't eat so well. I think that probably has to do a lot with it being summer and being out of a routine. I hate to make excuses, but...
I think I'm going to put some more focus back on nutrition. I like to snack, so I am going to have to get some healthy snacks in the house - think hummus with veggies, fruit, popcorn... easy to eat snacks for when I am feeling like I need something.
There is a new class starting at my gym - INTENSITY. The instructors are all excited about it - I can't wait for a new class! Yahoo! Back to my workout routine!
Going to visit mom tomorrow - I think I'll take my bike and get some bike time in. It's been a while, and there are great roads around her house I can bike on without fear of getting run over. It's not going to be the best weekend for nutrition, but I'm not going to sweat it this weekend. It's mom's birthday on Monday, and we're going to brunch on Sunday. Tomorrow night will probably be going out to eat somewhere as well. Back to school and back to some hard core nutrition tracking.
I think that's about it... I love blogging because sometimes my mind just races and this way I can get everything out.
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts