Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Which is a little weird for this time of year. But I took the trash out this morning and didn't even feel like i needed a coat. I'll take it... I'll enjoy it now, because in about a month or two I'll be huddling under the electric blanket wishing I had this weather back!
Today is going to be a busy day. It's my rest week, which I am LOVING, but I also have a lot of housework, bills, cooking, and household shopping to catch up on. Bleh. We are almost out of contact solution, and I have no more mouthwash. This is not good. I am usually very on top of the Target shopping, but I've been putting it off...
- after school, do the Target shopping. This will help me keep it short, since after that -
- Yoga class. It's a rest week, but yoga will be really good to stretch out my back.
- Home to clean and cook. I have to use up an eggplant tonight, so I'm going to make a recipe I found on Spark. Most of it will go in the freezer, but some will be for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.
I MUST get in all my water today. Yesterday was the first day of my 10-10-10 challenge where I didn't get in all my water. :( I really felt it, too. I guess my body really *does* want all that water!
Last night I had an eye doctor appointment. I always get inspired to wear my glasses when I go there... so today I am wearing a pair I haven't worn in a a really long time. I also bought a new pair last night, so in about two weeks I'll have three cute pairs. I guess it's time to stop wasting that glasses money! Ha!
Time to get ready for school... have a super day!
Monday, October 25, 2010
"They " say hindsight is always 20/20. I totally think it's true. So, looking back, if I had to...
- do the challenge training at the gym, would I have done it? Yes, except for the dead lifts. I would have stopped halfway through, or sooner. My back hurts SOOO bad. The good thing (well, relatively good thing) is that it hurts like it's sore, not like I pulled something out of whack.
- run the 5K on Sunday, would I have run it? Nope. I should have taken yesterday off, too.
I planned on a swim this morning, but I couldn't find my goggles and swim cap. I guess that's what happens when I don't pack up the night before. Poor excuse, I know, but my back seriously still feels sore. And I looked for the stuff for about 15 minutes, I just didn't have any more time to waste.
Tonight is dinner with my mom and an eye doctor appointment. I need to really make good food choices tonight. Yesterday honey and I had some chips and salsa and apple crisp. I didn't enter my calories, maybe I'll do that later, but I'm pretty sure I went over. We shall see.
So the 5K yesterday was SO hilly. I eked out the run, but it probably wasn't the best idea. Oh well, lesson learned. Today is more Motrin, stretching, and water.
Off to eat my breakfast... today it's a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Yum!
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Actually, within *two* challenges.
Challenge 1: 10-10-10. I paid $10 (for a t-shirt and drawing) to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks. For this challenge, I set up calorie range goals, water goals, and workout goals.
Challenge 2: The Spartan 300 Challenge. This is just a nutso challenge.
So the challenge within these two challenges is not only sticking to goals, but also listening to and paying attention to my body and its needs. Last night I did a crazy hard workout... today I had it scheduled on my calendar to do an Intensity class this morning. But my body is telling me "No way, Jose. You are way too sore - take a rest day." So rest I did. I felt a little bad about this... I scheduled a workout, but I didn't do it. So does this mean I failed this part of the challenge - the part where I do all my scheduled workouts? Do I get a frown on my calendar today for the "scheduled workout" block, or do I get a smile because I listened to my body?
Last night when I came home, I seriously needed to re-fuel my body after exerting it so hard. Even though I ate reasonably yesterday, I only had about 450 calories left for dinner. Which is pretty much, but I felt like I needed more calories than that to refuel. So I had a piece of pizza *and* a bowl of cereal. Do I put an X in the "stayed in calorie range" box, or do I put in the number "13" because it's the 13th day in range for what my body needed?
These are the challenges I feel... my fear is that I get so wrapped up in the little parts that I don't take into account the overall goal. (What is that saying - can't see the forest for the trees?)
And on top of that, I worry that once I start rationalizing why I made certain choices, that i will continue to rationalize my choices, even when it's not really a valid reason. ("Well, I can have those extra cookies because I worked so hard last week.") Because I've thought of this, though, today I am making an extra effort to stay within range and keep my goals in mind. Last night I ate a lot when I came home to fuel my body. After I had my pizza for lunch, I thought for a second "well I can have some cookies because I worked hard last night." AAAAHHH!!!! NOOOO!!! I didn't have the cookies - I am going to work them in for tonight's dinner, when I will enjoy them a little bit more. I wasn't even hungry for the cookies, I think I was just trying to rationalize eating junk food.
It's very easy for me to let myself get lax on my tracking. I was doing very well with maintaining my weight, but that's not the challenge. The challenge is to LOSE weight. It's not easy. I maintained for many many months, so this is a new mindset for me.
So for the rest of the day:
- Drink two more big glasses of water
- Light cleaning (finish the laundry and sweep the kitchen floor)
- Catch up on e-mails
- Get clothes ready for next week
- Finish meal planning for next week
- Make a play list for tomorrow's Scarecrow 5K
- Find a Turkey Trot to run
Friday, October 22, 2010
If you read other blogs of mine this week, you might recall that I decided to do this crazy challenge at my gym - The Spartan 300 Challenge. Tonight I met with my trainer so we could go through it, find my weaknesses, and get some idea of how I should be training for this. It is absolutely insane...
So there were some big hurdles for me. Most of them were mental. It's amazing how much the mind tricks us into thinking we can't do something. "You'll never be able to lift that weight." "You'll never be able to jump that high." "Those sprints are way too fast... you should slow down." Dammit voice, shut up. I KNOW I can do it.
I used to watch The Biggest Loser and think "I don't understand why they can't do this... just DO it." I thought the mental blocks were faked for good TV. But it turns out that the mental blocks are real. The blocks are of various sizes... some of our blocks may be running one mile. Some blocks may be breaking the 12 minute mile mark. Some blocks may be bigger - breaking a 20:00 5K or a 4-hour marathon. But the blocks are all real.
So tonight I decided to embrace my inner "Biggest Loser" and confront my fears. And the fears were real - can I really do a 95 pound dead lift? Can I jump up on a block that comes up to my knees?
YES, YES I CAN.
So this showed me that it *is* mostly a mental thing. "Do the thing you think you cannot do." This challenge means a lot to me. The craziest part is that it has to be done in 15 minutes to get a sweatshirt. But even if I don't break 15 minutes, I still want to do what is required. And tonight I did it. Yes, yes I did. So pardon me for the brag, but here is what tonight looked like.
- Two mile run, pace between 10:00-11:00 with five sprints in there for good measure.
- 50 box jumps. (jump up with two feet onto a block as tall as my knees)
- 50 dead lifts (95lbs)
- 50 man push ups
- 50 floor sweepers (lie face up, holding a 65lb bar straight up above your face, and lower and lift your legs straight up to meet the bar - killer ab workout)
- 25 pull-ups with 45% assistance
- 50 dumb bell clean and press (25 each arm with a 20 lb dumb bell)
So although I only did 25 of the 50 pull-ups, it was still a freakin' hard workout. It took WAAAY longer than 15 minutes, but now I know that I can physically AND mentally do each one of the exercises. Amazing. I feel totally strong. Sure, I am sore now and will be about a gazillion times more sore tomorrow and the next day, but I feel great. I cannot WAIT until my honey gets home and I can tell him about this!!!!
Friday, October 22, 2010
I have to admit that, even though I've been Sparking for almost two years and I've read SO many articles and message board posts about how losing weight is not an instant thing, I still expect my pants to be super loose after only two weeks of drinking tons of water and eating tons of fruit and veggies. I KNOW that my pants will not automatically fall off after two weeks, but I still can't help but be slightly disappointed that they still stay up. Sigh... A little ridiculous? Yes, but at least I'm honest.
So even though my pants still fit, there are some pretty cool other things I've noticed.
- My pants *really* fit. There is no lumpy bump above the waist band, and there is no side overhang, either. This is totally exciting.
- Last night at stretch class, I noticed that when I put my arms at my sides, there were gaps in between my arms and my waist. GAPS!!!!
- My jawline is improving. This is one of those areas I tend to forget about, since there is no piece of clothing to gauge if it's getting smaller. But my honey commented on my "nice jawline," so of course this morning I had to look at it. It *is* getting nicer!
- I stuck to one serving of Le Petit Ecolier cookies last night. Dark chocolate ones are my weakness. I could (and I have) eat an entire box in one sitting. But I stuck to one serving.
- I got in all five Siggs (*a Sigg is a 20 oz. water bottle) of water yesterday. It took drinking two of them after 8:30pm, but I DID IT and I got a smiley face in that square for yesterday.
So because it's Friday, you (yes you!) should take a minute today to think of something awesome that you notice about yourself. Toot your own horn! Shout it out! Give yourself a pat on the back! And while you're at it, say something awesome to someone *else* today. It will make you feel wonderful! You are amazing!!!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts