Sunday, October 31, 2010
I tried to make my October Observations as objective as possible. I think even though it's hard not to take myself personally, it helps for me to step back and see things for what they are. So anyway...
- My rest week from working out was also a rest week from making consistently healthy food choices.
Although the scale was right where it needed to be today, a rest week from working out should not necessarily mean a rest week from proper nutrition. This is something I will work on in November.
- Five Siggs (a 20 oz. water bottle) a day is a lot, but do-able.
- When I plan meals and snacks, my nutrition is right on target.
- Visual reminders (like Silly Bands for my water) help me to reach my goals.
- Concentrate on the Spartan 300 Challenge. I timed some of the exercises today so I have a baseline number from which to work. I need to work on making my box jumps quicker and my upper body strength needs to improve for my push-up time to improve.
- Plan weekly meals on Sunday. I did this today - I even cooked some of the food for Monday and Tuesday. I don't mind cooking a lot on the weekend, but during the week I want food that is easy for me to prepare. I made mashed potatoes, roasted beets, and tuna today. I am also going to ask Brad to make some food during the day.
- Stay on top of cleaning. I spent a LOOOOONG day yesterday cleaning the house, and a lot of the work could have been saved if I would have just kept on top of everything. So once a week I need to wet Swiffer the kitchen floor, scrub the stovetop, and clean the bathroom.
Brad is working today, which is kind of crappy, but it gives me the chance to plan for the week. I planned all but one meal for the week (Saturday dinner). I think after my nap I am going to enter in this week's meals into the tracker... Hm.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Today was cleancleancleancleanclean.
I am tired of cleaning for a while. But I did get some pictures hung, some hooks put up in the garage, the back deck cleaned off, the garage cleaned, the stove scrubbed, some important paperwork sent out, and lots of various other chores.
It feels good to be productive.
Tomorrow is back to a workout schedule... I can tell I needed this rest week because my body is ready to go back to working out.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
At my school, we have a thing called a "Harvest Day Parade." It's supposed to be the "PC" version of what is really Halloween. I can't stand the Harvest Day Parade. For various reasons. I think it's weird that we aren't supposed to be celebrating Halloween, yet we let the kids dress up and parade around in their costumes to celebrate "the harvest." Last time I checked, no farmer wears a fairy princess costume to pick gourds. The Harvest Festivities take place in the middle of the afternoon, and the kids are expected to go back to class for "the rest of their instructional day." Great, let's get them all hyped up for Halloween, dress them up, give them a party, and then expect "instructional time" after the hoopla.
Yes, Harvest Day is the worst day of the school year. Worse than the day before Christma... I mean, Winter Break. At least on that day, nobody is crazy enough to expect any instructional time. For the last two years, I took personal days on Harvest Day. Not really on purpose, but because I was actually going to things on those days. Unfortunately, I don't have anything planned this year. So Harvest Day it is.
The bright side is that I get to bust out my laundry basket costume. I will try to remember to get some pictures. It's pretty funny and very unique.
So tonight was a little Spartan 300 work - box jumps, push ups and pull-ups, and then stretch class. I seriously could take that class every day and be happy.
Stayed in calorie range today. It was easy after last night's dinner. Brad and I went out to dinner at a local pub. Beer, wings, fries, chips, buffalo chicken sandwich... YUM. The chicken sando was grilled, and there was an orange slice in my Blue Moon, so I guess it was a little healthy...? (Yeah, that's pushing it.) He stood strong and didn't let me get the Ben and Jerry's afterward, instead getting us some grapes. And they were delicious. I have a habit of poking all the grapes before I buy them. They have to be super hard - I love fruit that's a little underripe and/or really really crunchy. Can you believe grapes are so healthy? They taste so good!
So tomorrow's lunch is packed - leftover broccoli strudel, yogurt, and a pear. I have to get my costume ready...
One more glass of water to drink tonight and then I'll be good for today. I think I may get it in the form of some hot tea after my hot bath. Hot tea is the only other beverage I count as water. I don't count coffee, decaf or not. But since tea is just really flavored water...
So the rest of the night:
- hot bath
- hot tea
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
This is the third try at today's blog. Since I can't think of any one thing to write about today, this is just going to be random.
- Thank you thank you thank you for nominating me as a Motivator! This was truly the highlight of my Tuesday. I checked my e-mail at work, saw that I was a motivator and got this huge grin on my face. Yahoo!!!
- Getting on the scale the night after eating a pulled pork sandwich, potato chips, and not having enough water is NOT a good idea.
- Despite the scale not being nice, my pants are fitting better, my skin is looking great, and my self-confidence is at an all-time high!
- I see more muscles every day!
- My 5K time on Sunday was 33:39 (ish). Not great, but it was a really hilly course, and I was totally sore from Friday night's Crazy Workout. I have to keep telling myself that I've really only been training smart since spring. I say smart, because last year I totally overtrained and did a number on my IT Band. Even though my milage is much lower now, I feel better about my running. After the Spartan 300 Challenge is over at my gym, I'd like to concentrate more on my running.
- The Eggplant and Black Bean recipe from Spark is AWESOME. This was only maybe the second time I've made a Spark recipe. It is SOOOOO good.
- Honey has a day off today. Yahoo! I don't know what we're having for dinner, but I am in charge of making apple crisp for dessert. Yum! We had it on Sunday and put it over some frozen yogurt (Stonyfield Farms Gotta Have Vanilla) and I managed to stay within my calorie range. Goooooooo frozen yogurt!
- The whole meal planning thing is working out really well for me. I've even gotten into planning breakfasts! It keeps the grocery bills reasonable, too... we don't have a million breakfast things sitting around the house.
Well, that's about it. Off to put in my bagel and get my bag ready for school. Lunch is packed already, and since I'm not going to the gym tonight, I don't need any workout stuff. This rest week is really really nice. I totally needed it!
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Which is a little weird for this time of year. But I took the trash out this morning and didn't even feel like i needed a coat. I'll take it... I'll enjoy it now, because in about a month or two I'll be huddling under the electric blanket wishing I had this weather back!
Today is going to be a busy day. It's my rest week, which I am LOVING, but I also have a lot of housework, bills, cooking, and household shopping to catch up on. Bleh. We are almost out of contact solution, and I have no more mouthwash. This is not good. I am usually very on top of the Target shopping, but I've been putting it off...
- after school, do the Target shopping. This will help me keep it short, since after that -
- Yoga class. It's a rest week, but yoga will be really good to stretch out my back.
- Home to clean and cook. I have to use up an eggplant tonight, so I'm going to make a recipe I found on Spark. Most of it will go in the freezer, but some will be for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.
I MUST get in all my water today. Yesterday was the first day of my 10-10-10 challenge where I didn't get in all my water. :( I really felt it, too. I guess my body really *does* want all that water!
Last night I had an eye doctor appointment. I always get inspired to wear my glasses when I go there... so today I am wearing a pair I haven't worn in a a really long time. I also bought a new pair last night, so in about two weeks I'll have three cute pairs. I guess it's time to stop wasting that glasses money! Ha!
Time to get ready for school... have a super day!
Get An Email Alert Each Time CARILOUIE Posts