Saturday, April 19, 2014
Ratatouille over Spaghetti Squash
1 medium spaghetti squash
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, no-salt-added or low sodium
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place both halves upside down on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons water in a large deep skillet. Water saute the onion until softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, adding more water as necessary to prevent scorching.
4. Reduce heat to low-medium and add the tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, oregano and basil.
5. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour.
6. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
7. When squash is done, remove from oven and using a fork, scrape spaghetti-like strands from the squash onto serving plates.
8. Top with eggplant mixture.
CALORIES 243; PROTEIN 8g; CARBOHYDRATES 46g; TOTAL FAT 6.3g; SATURATED FAT 1g; SODIUM 77mg; FIBER 10.1g; BETA-CAROTENE 1174ug; VITAMIN C 75mg; CALCIUM 110mg; IRON 2.2mg; FOLATE 113ug; MAGNESIUM 90mg; ZINC 1.3mg; SELENIUM 4.8ug