Thursday, November 28, 2013
In 1998 I was looking after our property, my DH was in hospital for a short time and I felt tired and was drinking a lot.
I put it down to the extra weight I was carrying – I was at least 170kg (375lb) and the extra work, as well as it being summer and hot
Eventually I went to my Doctor and was diagnosed Type2 diabetic with an A1C through the roof!! I was put on Metformin and told to record my blood sugars 4 times a day!!
I had just booked a round the world trip – stopping in UK, USA and Fiji –no way was I diabetic – I was going to enjoy my trip!!
I took the metformin and got diarrhoea – which incidentally lasted 5 years!!
So with a blood sugar meter in my port and my metformin and plenty of protection I set off - I was still young enough to be carefree then even though I was married!!
I don’t think my meter left my port during the trip – and as far as eating – well let’s just say – I had a great time sampling local foods!!
I think I found every rest room in every city and airport and plane that was available – but I still had fun!!
Then I got home – my sugar levels had risen and I had to face reality!!
I made a few changes to my diet and increased vegetables – the green leafy sort!!
Gradually, very slowly, my blood sugars started dropping – but it was a slow process!!
In 2002 – I tried losing weight to help things and I did lose 35kg (77lb) – but it wasn’t until 2009 that I joined Sparkpeople and added exercise.
I hated the word – let alone doing it – but I found Chair Exercise Team –and a form of exercise I could do!! By 2010 my A1C was down to 6 – the weight loss and exercise together really pushing it along – and my Doctor was saying “once a diabetic, always a diabetic – you need checking every 4 months”
He took me off the Metformin about now too.
As I lost more weight and increased exercise intensity, all the time eating a healthy diet with lots of leafy vegetables, fruit and fish - my weight dropped – I have lost 60kg (132lb) and my blood sugar readings dropped.
For the last 3 years my A1C has been dropping gradually – today it was 4.8 again!!
It has been 4.8 for the last year!!
Today – when I was at the doctor’s I told him my eye surgeon had asked if I was a diabetic or not and when I gave him my answer of “once a diabetic always a diabetic” he looked at me as if I had left this planet!! My Doctor’s reply – you no longer have a diabetic profile – you can say you have cured type 2 diabetes!!
Mind you – I know he will keep checking “just in case”!!
But he also took me off my last diabetic related tablet – aspirin – which they used to give diabetics to protect against heart problems and clots – and caused horrendous bruising!
So – yes you can cure Type 2 diabetes if you are willing to put the effort in to doing it!! – but – remember its taken me from 1998 to now and a lot of effort and consistent good eating and exercise – I now do Curves 3 times a week
swim 2 times a day and do chair exercises on days I don’t go to Curves!!
In UK 1998
Elegant (NOT) 2002
2013 – I wore this jacket round the world in 1997 – and it wouldn’t zip up and flapped all over the place – I must have looked like a very rotund Batman!!
I have had a couple of comments telling me that my BS level will rise again - my reply to that is - Yes it could - but apparently according to latest research it doesn't have to - in many cases where the BS levels have risen after they dropped - it was found that the people slackened off on their healthy eating and exercise program!! There are also a number of other factors like age, the time a person had it before being diagnosed and treated and their attitude - have all been shown to affect things.
I did say - and I repeat - I will continue to be monitored for the rest of my life - which is a security net in a way!!
But no matter - as I head into old age - I have no intention of sitting around waiting for what might happen and being afraid for my future - and in the end - none of us can see the future!!
Anyone who is looking for a way to exercisebecause you don't want to or can't do "normal" exercise - please come and try the Chair exercise Team - we have our own YouTube Channel of exercises you can follow and will make you very welcome
Friday, November 22, 2013
On Friday I went to enter my foods in my Nutrition Tracker and discovered it had changed – I wondered if this was due to an update to my computer at the beginning – but no! its been “improved”.
When I said something about that we hadn’t been warned on the Leaders message board – I was told –
“Sorry that I didn't post this sooner. You can copy and paste this message in your teams to better inform them if you are seeing questions.
This morning we launched a slightly redesigned version of the nutrition tracker. The changes entail:
1) An overall visual redesign. We simplified the colors, and a few other things. The goal was to better match the redesigns recently launched on pages like our homepage and Start page.
2) As part of the redesign, we moved a few things around the page:
- The biggest is that the water tracker, Tracker Options, and Daily Feedback buttons were moved down the page.
- We dropped the fruit/veggie quick track but that tracking can easily be added to the Start page tracking options. The same can be done with the water tracking as well for more of a one stop tracking option.
- The button to add more nutrients is now at the bottom of the page, vs to the top right of foods tracked for the day
We will be updating the Nutrition Tracker tour in a week or so. Further questions can be directed to email@example.com or via the Site/Tech message board forum.
While we know change can be difficult, please know that we do not make changes simply for the sake of change. Our goal is always to better serve the millions of members that are working hard to positively change their life, one goal at a time.
So basically what they are saying is – the changes are for our own good!!
So the fact that the water tracker has moved to the bottom of the page – must mean it is of little importance since its easy to forget down there – the same applies to “feedback” obviously a balanced diet is of no importance!!
Do we agree with this attitude – not on your ...........!!
And the worst thing – the Fruit and veg tracker has gone – on being asked about this the reply was:
“Related to the veggie/fruit tracker, that option was intended as an alternative for people that don't like detailed tracking. The 'quick tracker' was the same thing for people who had trouble tracking activity and just wanted to check off that they had done something but weren't using it to monitor calories burned. Those goal setting options still exist on the new start page for those people that are motivated by keeping track of activities completed. If you need more focused tracking to help you reach your goals, the detailed trackers are available. Hopefully everyone still has what they need to reach their goals even if they are placed in a different location.
Ok – so we can set a fruit and veg tracker up on our start pages (assuming everyone knows how – and I’ll bet a lot have no idea)!! But it doesn’t link in with the Nutrition Tracker as it used to and to get the points from eating the veg and fruit – we need to add each one individually to the tracker – though you can get 1 point for shoving the slider button if you set up the tracker on your start page!!
So again we assume – fruits and veg tracking are of little importance!!
The real point out of all this is – that Sparkpeople say they have our interests at heart!! But what is more important – a nice clean tidy page (which is what the changes are in aid of) – or helping the members to change to a healthier lifestyle by having important things sitting in front of them so they are harder to forget??
Monday, November 11, 2013
A MESSAGE FROM THE QUEEN
To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
In light of closing down of the Government in the USA and thus the inability to govern yourselves, We hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary.)
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except North Dakota, which she does not fancy).
Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour,' 'favour,' 'labour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise.' Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').
2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ''like' and 'you know' is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter 'u'' and the elimination of '-ize.'
3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse
5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.
6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.
8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.
9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable, as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialect in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.
11. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).
12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.
13.. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.
14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.
God Save the Queen!
Get An Email Alert Each Time EMMABE1 Posts