Monday, September 30, 2013
This is going to be a pretty short blog - I am really busy with law school right now - but I had to share this! My husband and I built a little desk to go over our treadmill, and now I can work standing or walking (slowly). This is AMAZING for me, because as a law student, I spend many many hours on my duff studying. Then I go to class and sit on my rump. Then at night after I get my baby to sleep, I sit on the couch and study some more. And I don't have a ton of time to work out, because I want to spend all my free time with my baby. So, this seems like a great solution! Obviously walking at 1.5 miles an hour is no substitute for good ol' heart pounding cardio, but it's a lot better than sitting all day long. The best part - it only cost $14! Here's a pic of it (I'm walking as I write this!).
Sorry the picture is sideways - for some reason I can't get it straightened. You get the point :)
I thought it would be hard to get used to typing and reading while walking, but its not. As long as I keep the speed around 1.5 mph, its easy. I can't go much faster than that though, or I cant concentrate. This is a pretty awesome setup!
Everything else is going well. School is so busy, and my son is keeping me busy too - he's crawling and almost ready to walk! I just love him more every day :) I'm so excited that Fall is here - I hate Southern summers!!
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
FIrst, down another 2 pounds - woot!
These last few weeks, I've been working a lot on the mental aspect of weight loss. I don't think I ever fully dealt with that in the past, and it's long overdue. I've made a few realizations:
1. I am an emotional eater. No big surprise, right? Well, I've tried to deny it for years. I need to own it, because that's how I will get past it.
2. I am addicted to sugar. I think that's why it's always been so hard to lose weight, because I end up eating way more sugar than I think I do. That's gotta stop.
3. I feel like an athlete. Seriously - deep down, I love working out and sweating and generally feeling like a bada** in the gym. I want my outside to match my inside.
4. I love living healthy. Even though I've gained some weight back in the last 2 years, I've still been living a healthy lifestyle. I've never started drinking soda again, I eat fast food only a few times a year, veggies are my favorite foods, and I love being active. I am in a CSA and eat mostly local and organic produce. I love this lifestyle.
5. My body is amazing. It may not *look* amazing, but it is. It birthed an 8 pound baby after 41 hours of labor (yah. that was rough). It can do an hour long workout. It is generally healthy. I need to learn how to love my body, flaws and all, instead of hating every imperfection I see.
6. I need your help. That's right - you. Like most of us, I am so much more committed when I have another person to stay accountable to. Spark friends are amazing, in that they are always there to cheer you on, through the victories and the defeats. I am so glad to be back in this community - y'all are pretty awesome!
7. I barely know what true hunger feels like. This is the BIGGIE. I eat because I am bored. I eat because it's been an hour since I've eaten. I eat because I am upset. I eat because it's 10am. Whatever it is, it's rarely that I am eating because I am hungry. I am working hard on gaining more mindfulness in my eating, and not being so afraid of true hunger. It's a good, normal, healthy thing that I should be feeling every single day.
What about you, Sparkers? What revelations have you made on your journey? Got any tips for me in dealing with the above??
Sunday, June 16, 2013
Because today was my husband's first Father's Day as a dad, I had planned for this to be an off day from exercise, and expected to go over calories. He requested his favorite Korean meal for dinner, and for lunch we went to a food truck "rodeo" (basically, 70 local food trucks gathered in a park, live music, lots of activities). Street food isn't the healthiest. But, I did pretty good! I did not overeat, and when he ordered a piece of rum cake for dessert, I only had a few bites of it. Plus, I went to the gym and squeezed in a 30 minute workout.
Overall, I am really satisfied with today. I stayed under calories, barely, and got in an extra workout. I feel pretty great.
How was your father's day?
Saturday, June 15, 2013
My blog entry yesterday was not totally honest. I left out one huge event of the last year, because I didn't want to talk about it. But I need to. I need to work on making peace with it.
August 25th, 2012, my best friend Mollie died unexpectedly. She had a very rare blood disorder, and a combination of a lot of factors (including an experimental drug) led to her death. I was 7 months pregnant and in the middle of a 14 hour road trip back to visit my family. I was going to my baby shower, that she was throwing for me. We had been best friends for 13 years, roommates for 8. I talked to her pretty much every single day for the last 13 years (no joke).
When it happened, I think I was in shock more than anything. As time has gone by, it's actually gotten harder for me to accept. I'm working on it, but it's a constant struggle. I just miss her so much, every single day. I wish she could have met my son.
Her death really sucked all motivation out of me. Between her death and the birth of my son, I've just been trying to survive. But, I think part of healing for me is getting healthy. For me, and for her memory.
Here's a picture of us about 3 years ago, after I got accepted to law school. She was so proud of me. I love you, Mollie.
Friday, June 14, 2013
Spark, it's been a while. So much has happened in the last year and a half! I haven't fallen off the fitness wagon, but I definitely haven't done that much to get to my goal. There are so many things, I'm gonna have to use bullets :)
- The biggie: I had a baby! November 10. 2012, baby August was born. He's pretty darn amazing (and that's coming from someone who never wanted a kid!) Losing the baby weight has been hard. See below for some pictures of how adorable he is :)
- I quit "smoking": I actually haven't smoked for years, but I was pretty addicted to Nicorette gum. I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant, and packed on about 10 pounds within 2 weeks :(
- I had a personal trainer: And I kept up the workouts until I was about 4 months pregnant. I fought through nausea and tiredness and kept going. I ended up quitting that more for financial reasons, but once I quit with the trainer I didn't do much in the way of fitness for a long time.
- Law school: I took a year off to have the baby, and it's been AMAZING. I will start back this fall for my final year. I'm already dreading it.
- Moving: My amazing, talented husband got a job at Yale. Starting next year, he will be a tenure-track neuroscience faculty. It was his dream job, and Yale will be an incredible place for him to build his career. So, 1 year left in NC, then Connecticut, here we come!
- New gym: I joined a great local gym that has an excellent day care, so I can drop August off while I do my workout. There are 3 pools, and my husband likes to swim. He also takes August in the baby pool, and he loves it. It's working out really well!
- Breast feeding: OHMYGOSH I am hungry all the time. I am still not sure how much I should be eating while nursing - some things say 300, others 600, more calories than normal. This is my major struggle right now.
- Weight Watchers: I tried it. Didn't like it. It's got nothing on Spark! I'm so glad to be back here :)
- My hair: I cut off 15 inches! It felt AMAZING. It's pretty liberating to have short hair :)
So, now I'm about 18 pounds heavier than I was last time I logged in. I'm exhausted (my little guy does NOT want to sleep - I haven't had more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep in over 7 months). But, for the last 3 weeks I have been going to the gym 5 or 6 days a week. I've been watching what I eat and tracking. This feels like an enormous victory for me, since I am so tired. The scale hasn't really budged, but I feel great.
I'd love to hear from all my old Spark friends, and make new ones. The best thing about the Spark community is that you are always welcomed, and never judged. I've missed y'all!
Without further ado, my adorable son...
With my husband
Eating his veggies
Here's me pregnant and feeling like a whale
And here we are getting ready to go home from the hospital
Get An Email Alert Each Time JAUDON Posts