Friday, October 24, 2014
1. MIL fell out of bed in the middle of the night. FIL couldn't wake her up so he just covered her with a blanket. SIL got there at 8 am, was able to rouse her and took her blood sugar. It was 89 - a nice lowish fasting bloodsugar. She gave her insulin and didn't have her eat anything - leaving MIL, who has dementia, to be responsible for getting up and getting breakfast on her own. When the visiting nurse got there a couple of hours later, MIL's sugar was only 37 - very close to death. The nurse yelled at SIL to call 9-1-1 and they shoveled syrup into MIL's mouth. MIL is at emergency getting her sugar stabilized and her hip checked out. The nurse has said that MIL should not be going back home but should be going into a facility that can give her 24 hour care. We've been working on that btw but the ILs have balked and it has been slow. SIL and I talked today. She can't keep going over there to take care of her mom before and after work. For whatever reason, she's willing to take her dad into her home but not her mom (though I have my guesses as to what reasons those might be). The decision now is if FIL wants to go into a home that will give MIL adequate care or not. He's been hoping that the both of them would go into assisted living which is not enough care for MIL but would be just fine for him. Dh mentioned us selling our house and finding a place where we could take are of the ILs but I really really really don't want to do this. It's not just because MIL is difficult. I would put my own wishes aside and would do that for her. The problem is that I am barely taking care of our stuff and the thought of getting our house to where we could sell it puts me into a stress coma just thinking about it. Plus, realistically it would take months to do this and MIL needs to go somewhere now. I believe the plan is to have her go to a intermediate place until a permanent place is found. At least that is what SIL said and I really hope that is the case. I understand that we can die anytime but the thought of MIL dying simply due to lack of proper care is not something I want to contemplate.
2. I got my new dishwasher this morning! Squee! It is nice and pretty. I don't have enough dirty dishes to justify using it yet but by tomorrow morning I should be able to give it its inaugural cycle.
3. Dd wants more frozen yogurt! She's been doing tons of math on her own time to get enough mastered. She fell short today but she's talking about doing more tomorrow (Saturday) just so she will get another treat :) She's a skinny beanpole and frozen yogurt isn't too unhealthy but boy, what has gotten into this girl?! (I think it is partly that she's seeing that she truly can master this math which has been her nemesis since about second grade.)
4. Ds volunteered at the library this morning. He says that there is an opening for his teenage dream job as a library page. He's hard at work on the application.
5. What I thought was just a wonky ankle last night turned out to be the very start of a fibro flare. I get these flares where my feet both swell up and are very painful to walk on. Today is one of those days. I had hoped that going gluten free would somehow eliminate these flares but nope. I'm frustrated because it is very painful to walk when my feet are like this and so there goes any hope of exercise out the window. Well, I typed that and thought "what about chair exercise" so I'm going to do that instead.
6. Dd wants me to go out to the store with her. I'm achy. I've been at the family's beck and call all day and now I'm going to be selfish and say "no".