Sunday, March 17, 2013
One of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year was to go out to dinner or restaurants MUCH less than last year.
Last year, I probably ate dinner out at least two to three times a week, and sometimes a lunch here and there.
My initial goal was to only eat out once per 10 pounds loss, but so far I've found that to be a pretty much impossible goal, as my life does not always allow that, since there's always a birthday, an event, and etc. which I've obligated to attend.
Here is an update of my eat-outs so far, and a rating of how well I did with ordering healthier options. 1 being worst, 10 being best possible option.
Feb 1st - Yamatos Japanese Steakhouse - 7 out of 10. 2 glasses wine :(
Feb 15th - Acropolis - 9 out of 10. No alcohol :)
Feb 22nd - Farah's - 8 out of 10. 1 ultra light beer.
Mar 4th - Taste of Saigon - 6 out of 10. 1 glass of wine.
Mar 15th - Tatu Sushi - 1 out of 10 :( and 2 beers and sakes :( and then to ice cream shop NOOOOOO
Overall Healthy option Average: 6.2
So overall, my healthy choices have been medium out of the 5 times I've been out. But looking at the above now, it seems my latest 2 choices have been the worst two.... Looks like an improvement is needed.
I'm glad I wrote this out like this, because it really gives me a visual on my patterns and shows me where I'm starting to slip.
Sunday, March 03, 2013
February was a slow but steady month.
Here is my summary:
1/30/13 - 199.0
2/06/13 - 198.0
2/13/13 - 196.0
2/20/13 - 193.4
2/27/13 - 191.4
My goal was to be in the 180's by March 1st, but I didn't quite make it. I was close though!
Today it is March 3rd, and I am 189.2, so if February had a normal amount of days in it, maybe I would have made it? lol.
There was really only one day in February where I didn't stick with my diet, and that was at a family gathering on February 16th. However I didn't do too awful. I kept it within reason. But besides that, my entire month of February was cheat free! I even had to deal with a horrible cold/flu for a week and I wasn't able to work out! But that worked out well because I wasn't able to go out for Valentines Day. I also did a workout game during Superbowl instead of eating like the rest of America! So overall, February was quite a successful month for me, much like January.
So here is to the opening of March. So far, there are no temptation events planned. No parties. No out of town weekends. No special occasions. I hope i can keep my diet, or lifestyle change, going strong all month long! I would absolutely LOVE to end this month out of the 180's and into the 170's. I can do it!
Tuesday, February 05, 2013
In January, I started over on my weight loss journey. I was at an all time of high of 213 at the beginning of this January. Two years ago, my highest weight was 207 and I thought that was high. I lost about 35 pounds, and then in the Summer of 2012 I started putting it back on until finally, January 2013 rolls around to my 213 weight.
I'm happy to say that I lost a total of 14 pounds this January. I'll admit, I wanted it to be more, considering I know the first 5-10 are typically water pounds, but at least it's a loss! I worked my BUTT OFF this past month. I'm hoping that I've also gained some muscle mass, because I really did work pretty hard at the gym all month, and was very good with my diet.
My January goals were as follows:
1/7/13 - 209 - GOAL MET!
1/14/13 - 206 - GOAL MET!
1/23/13 - 203 - GOAL MET!
1/30/13 - 200 - GOAL MET!
2/1/13 - 199.8 - GOAL MET!
My goal was to be in the 100's by February 1st. I'm happy to say that that did indeed happen!
Here were my weigh ins this past month:
Weekly AM Weigh-Ins:
1/03/13 - 213 - START
1/07/13 - 205.8
1/14/13 - 205.0
1/23/13 - 201.2
1/30/13 - 199.0
I'm ready to tackle February and all its temptations that come with it, including my boyfriends birthday, Superbowl, Valentines Day, and a weekend out of town! Eek. Okay well Superbowl actually happened, and I did really well - See previous blog entry for how I did it. But as for the rest of those temptations, I just have to tackle them one by one with a game plan ahead of time!!
My goal for February is to get out of the 190's and end the month in the 180's. I hope I can do it!
Monday, February 04, 2013
Last night during the Superbowl, I decided to do the opposite of what I've always done during the Superbowl.
Last night, I worked out! I played a workout game. I didn't drink. I didn't eat junk.
Today I feel great and accomplished!
This is the game I played: www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=the
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
This month I've been successful in my weight loss. I'm going to track down some of the things I did so that if I start having a bad month, I can refer back to this to see what I can do to get back on track!
1. Sign up for gym classes (paid ones) early. If my class is at 6am the next morning, I try to sign up around noon or 1pm the day before when my motivation levels are high. If I wait until the evening, I might not "feel like" I want to get up early the next morning.
2. Keep absolutely no junk in the house. There are no potato chips, no cookies, no ice cream. There is nothing here to temp me if I have a momentary lapse of good judgement
3. Keep your fridge full of preportioned meals and snacks. When I cook, I cook enough that will last 4-8 servings. I don't just store the big pan in the fridge, instead, i measure out each serving and put it into a little togo dish. That way I have quick reheat meals, and a variety of things to grab when I pack my morning lunches.
4. Keep a variety of fruits and veggies in the house. I don't like wasting money, so if I buy it, I try to eat it. This helps replace not so nutritious snacks.
5. Visit spark people daily. I try to read at least one article a day, or a forum or something that helps me keep my mind on losing weight.
6. Measure and track....everything. From the coffee creamer in the morning, up to the glass of v8 I have at night. I use my measure cups and spoons several times a day. As soon as I eat it, I track it so I don't forget.
7. Don't under-eat. This was actually a problem for me the 2nd week. I was motivated and I didn't want to put food in my body. But I know if you don't, you'll kill your metabolism. So I learned to substitute skim milk with 1% milk, added nuts/seeds to my diet, and tried to eat at least 1000 calories before and during work so when I come home I only have 200-600 remaining which I can easily finish off with a nice home cooked meal, or a nice protein shake with a banana, protein powder, and TBSP of peanut butter.
8. Don't eat too many calories right before bed. This was a hard one some nights since if I'm too busy at work, not only do I not eat enough while there, I also come home exhausted. But then I'm also starving, so I eat, then pass out. This is a no no. I've been trying to eat smaller/healthy snacks if I know I'm about to sleep, rather than full meals. Of course this can hurt me too if I haven't eaten enough, which is why this rule has to pair with rule #7.
9. Start my weekends in my workout clothes. If I get up and put them on, I'll do my workout in the morning. This has helped several times this month with weekend motivation.
10. Don't eat out. Just don't do it. It's tempting. You don't know the calories in the food. You overindulge. You drink. Nothing good comes from eating out, so skip it. If it can't be avoided, then eat a protein filled snack before you go so you won't be hungry, and therefor order less and healthier items.
11. Limit alcohol, a lot. I used to drink almost every night. And when I drank, I'd drink several glasses of wine. This month has been a lot better for me. I think I've only had alcohol about 6 times this month, and when I did, it was either one glass of wine or one low carb light beer, and not while eating. Alcohol is processed first, so if you eat with alcohol, or drink right after eating, your food gets 2nd dibs to your metabolism and likely will turn to fat.
12. Eat the most carbs in the morning and early afternoon. So fruits, whole wheat breads, etc. all need to be eaten with enough time to process and break down before going to sleep. I didn't follow this rule daily, but did try most days.
13. If you are physically hungry, first drink 8 oz of water. Wait 10 minutes. Stomach still rumbling? Then eat. If you are physically hungry, you should eat. Not eating will slow your metabolism.
14. Stick to low and medium Glycemic Index foods. This basically means stay away from added sugars, white breads, pasta, etc. Most fruits and all veggies are low GI, so I eat a lot of those. Also all dairy products are low GI, unless there's like oreo crumbles in it or something.... You can read more about GI on Mendosa website.
15. Do not under any circumstance skip breakfast. I try to eat within 30 minutes of waking up. If I'm really busy, I make a protein shake by stirring powder into milk. Quick and filling meal.
16. Drink liquids. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. I also use liquids in some of my meals, including a protein shake or a low sodium V8. I also like Diet Hot Chocolate with 1% milk. I find liquid food more filling. And if I start to feel hungry too soon, I down a glass of water and see if it helps.
17. Remind yourself daily of your mini and overall goals. Keep it on your mind and it will help overcome temptations.
18. Workout at least 3 times a week. I actually aim for 5 days a week, but I always get at least 3 days of something in. Also don't over-work your body, as it needs rest to allow for muscle growth and also help to decrease injury.
19. Visual reminders. I look at old pictures of myself at smaller weights, and I also look at my spark people weight ticker to see how far I've gone visually. It really helps.
20. Tell everyone your goals. The more people who know, the more people you won't want to disappoint. Let everyone know you're trying to lose weight. Hopefully some of them will be encouraging and help keep you on track.
21. Eat every three hours. Eat at least something, even if it's only an apple, to help your metabolism keep rolling all day long.
Well that's all I can think of for now. The 21 things above have helped me lose 14.4 pounds this month!
Get An Email Alert Each Time MEGGIC Posts