Friday, October 19, 2012
Sooo glad to see Friday dawning!
Feeling better, diverticulitis flare has tapered off. Been successful at adding around 25 gram of fiber a day to my diet, woo hoo!
I've lost a pound a week the last two weeks. Cautiously optimistic. When I didn't feel great about it, I looked at my weight report and realized, I'm down 9 pounds from February, which is better than up 9 pounds, eh?
Glad to be spending the weekend at home - tho a busy weekend. Still, glad not to be traveling. Ready to relax!
Have a great Friday and an awesome weekend!
Monday, October 15, 2012
I've had a very busy week since our return from vacation....Still tired. The sleep study is tonite, hopefully I can get going on the right pressure for my apnea after that.
I'm struggling with the diverticulitis again. I'm really discouraged about it. I worked all week to add fiber...and here I am again in pain. Not the chills/fever kind of pain (yet, sigh), but I feel just like I did before that happened - constant low abdominal pain, almost like being painfully constipated, but that's not the problem.
yep, I'll be calling my provider today to see what they say. More antibiotics? oh the joy. :(
Despite feeling crappy, good things have happened. I got to see my oldest daughter this weekend and really enjoyed that...my dance life is going well and I'm happy. I just don't feel good and that's hard to stop thinking about when it's constant discomfort.
I told a friend, NOW I know why sometimes older people....you ask them how they are and it's a litany of their aches and pains. It's hard NOT to whine about it! But, I've done that here today, so hopefully I won't feel that need with others today, LOL>
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
We spent 4.5 days in Disneyland and California Adventure. Before leaving, I was concerned about fitting into rides, etc. Here is my experience in short form - in parts, there may be "too much information" - but I felt it applicable and wish I'd thought about those things so I'm saying it anyway!
I'm 247 pounds and stand just over 5 foot. The majority of my weight is in my belly.
* I was able to fit into every ride I wanted to try including: Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, Matterhorn Bobleds, Buzz Lightyear, Big Thunder, Grizzly River Run, Pinnochio, Pirates of the Caribbean, and many more. There was a time or two I worried about the bar not locking down, but it did every time and I was not uncomfortable - the bar didn't squish me in.
* If you have knee problems, I would suggest avoiding the Matterhorn Bobleds. I fit, barely, but my knees were drawn up at such an angle due to my size that my knees were not happy. I wouldn't repeat this ride due to the knee factor.
* I was treated with great kindness and respect by every single cast member I encountered over that 4.5 days. I can't say enough about Disney customer service- it's the best I have ever encountered anywhere, period.
* Even with good shoes, my feet hurt.
* After Grizzly Run, we were soaked and I do mean soaked, like "squish squish" with every step. I SHOULD have returned to the hotel, got dry shoes and new socks. I did not, and I ended up with blisters on both feet because of it and that was a big mistake. If I had it to do over again, I would have brought flip flops for that ride, stored my shoes/socks in the nearby lockers and not had that problem. But I didn't know, now I do.
* No where in Disneyland or nearby area could I find any kind of hemorrhoid cream. Suffice to say, many obese people struggle with hemorrhoids, and the heat and constant walking caused serious bleeding hemorrhoids almost every day I was there. Unpleasant. Note to self, expect this and take some with me next time.
* I specifically chose comfort over fashion, but I still slipped up in a couple of clothing choices - which lead to chafing issues. Those loose, comfy shorts? Miserable choice once you start walking and sweating. Best choice? The workout style capris I brought - they have "cool max" technology and I stayed comfortable with no chafing.
* Best decision we made: Going at open of park to about 1 pm, then returning to the motel during the heat (which we are NOT used to) of the day until about 4 or 5 pm. We were then able to last much longer into the evening, felt refreshed and much happier. Trying to stay all day? We were extremely hot, miserable and crabby.
* There ARE healthy food choices in the parks, stands with fresh (and DELICIOUS) fruit. Yep, it's more expensive than at home, but hello, you're at a theme park, what do you expect?
* The biggest and only real complaint I can think of? Rude guests. People can be incredibly rude - but, let's face it, we have that here at home in the grocery store! Avoiding the heat of the day, we were able to be more tolerant of people's ugliness. When you are hot, and crowded and someone is an arse? It's much harder not to snap back!
* We stayed at the Carousel Inn, literally across the park from the main gates, 5-7 min walk. Very, very clean and friendly.
I saw many overweight and seriously obese people on our trip. It was a great reminder of as a society, where our health is headed. I don't judge those people, I'm ONE OF THEM! I was glad to see them out there enjoying life, because I know for every one who is doing it despite their weight, there are likely two staying at home waiting to live their life when they "lose the weight".
I had a fabulous trip. Loved every minute. SUPER enjoyed visiting with Terry55!! Once I get around to sending pics to my computer, I'll post some. Thanks for sharing some time with me Terry, I really enjoyed it!!
Tuesday, October 09, 2012
Home again! What a fabulous vacation - I couldn't have asked for more! I have a blog post in mind about visiting Disneyland as an obese woman - my personal experience - hopefully I'll get that out tomorrow.
Today, it's back to real life - work and the pursuit of HEALTH. My biggest focus in the coming weeks? Adding the appropriate amount of fiber into my diet to help prevent another attack of diverticulitis. I don't ever want to do that again! I've had difficulty getting all the veggie/fruit servings in daily - now it must be a priority. They say you don't appreciate your health until you don't have it, and that seems to be a recurring theme for me!
I want health. I want to feel vibrant and alive - regardless of my weight! That is what I really want, and that is what I'm going to focus on daily until I get it!
Get An Email Alert Each Time NOREGRET2010 Posts