Friday, May 16, 2008
Emotional eating has been the hallmark of my adult life. Happy? Eat. Sad? Eat. Deprssed? Eat more.
Facing emotions without stuffing my face is.......freaking hard. A last minute dinner out coupled with yet another phone conversation with my dad that really upset me lead me to facing a menu filled with things I don't eat anymore....and an empty heart that wanted to be filled with binging.
I didn't binge, and in fact, was totally able to stop eating when I was full. Nor, lol, did I order dessert. So it was not a disaster...but yet another wake up call to how conditioned I am to put food in my mouth in the face of having to deal with emotions.
As well, the desire for instant gratification is sure close to the surface right now too. That I've lost 12 pounds in about 2.5-3 weeks should be ENOUGH - but I found myself belittling it when a student commented I looked like I'd lost weight. I still want to wake up tomorrow and look the way I want to look.
Not going to happen. It's going to take many many more days of tracking my food, abstaining from sugar and making my body move and sweat.
I suspect this is about the point I usually give up. But, not today. Today, I'm going to track my food....journal my feelings....and move my body. Today is the most important day in the battle to end my obesity. The next meal, the next workout are all that matters.
Today, I will allow myself to be "good enough". I will allow myself to have feelings and hurt and heartache and I will FEEL them and deal with them, and not cover them up with a sugar-coated haze. I can't face the weekend, next week, next month or the rest of my life and my battle with food and laziness - but I can handle today.
I'm reminded again of seeing the trainer on BL literally scream at the guy who was sooooo freaking lazy saying "I'm resting" - "YOU'VE BEEN RESTING FOR YEARS!"
No lazy today. I have no control over tomorrow, but today? No lazy. Period.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
This a.m., when I stepped on the scale - I've lost another pound, for a total of 12 pounds.
Now wouldn't you think my reaction would be to be happy for pity's sake?
No, my reaction was....."I didn't really work very hard...." almost as if I don't DESERVE to lose a pound because I didn't kill myself doing it.
Whew. I know I'm struggling with emotions and PTSD crap - Mother's day sorta got to me this year and I've got some issues I'm working through with my dad that has triggered some depression/anxiety - but for god's sake, I don't DESERVE to lose a pound?
Hello!! Wake up call!! Danger Will Robinson! I know part of this is because I over ate during the weekend and I'm having guilt over it.
What can I be doing about this kind of twisted thinking?
1. TAKE MY MEDS...so easy to say...so easy to forget.
2. Journal - spill out all the garbage in my head onto paper so I have room for positive, happy thoughts!
3. Remind myself that even if this last pound or two seemed "easy" - it hasn't been - I've remained sugar free for two weeks, and keeping my calories in check that long is a miracle - regardless of what happens on the scale.
This is the kind of "this is too hard...I can't do it" thinking that helped get me to 250 pounds - I have to remain vigilant to not let it "get" me right back to where I was. Twelve pounds in less than three weeks is AWESOME - my last word of advice to myself is:
Get over it, move forward, appreciate yourself for what you're doing and stop beating yourself up!
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Last week was very inspiring and fast moving for me....the first week of really DOING all the things I should be doing had me losing a pound a day....very motivating!
I'm -just- under 240 for the first time in a REALLY long time....and now the honeymoon (of losing a pound a day) is over and I can see it's going to take the same amount of work and effort I put in last week to lose TWO pounds if I'm lucky for the week.
I've been getting cardio (20 min on ellpitical) about 5x a week...but I know it's also time to amp that up a little. More time on it is hard to imagine, cause those 20 minutes are LONG minutes...but it's what needs to happen. I've been doing 2 or 3 on the resistance, for lack of a better plan, I think I will try adding 5 minutes on 1 to what I've been doing, and building it up from there. Today's LC challenge is to get in 45 min exercise - which sounds like sort of a lot to me today, but it's easier to think of doing it for the challenge, for my team than just doing it on my own.
I have noticed some generalized crabbiness....without using food to soothe myself - I have to deal with my emotions. Self medicating with food has been a lifelong habit, and it's .... hard not to. More than anything food wise, I miss my coffee - but not enough to consume the 300+ calories it contained.
Yeah, I know I could have the skinny sugar free version....but I also know I haven't been off of sugar long enough for it to taste good - it would be a very disappointing substitute. So, I'm sticking with diet coke for now, tho I know it has sodium and all that ... it's a change from the daily Dutch Freeze that's saving me at least 1200 cal a week...and I'll work on increasing my water and decreasing my DC in the weeks to come.
Monday, May 05, 2008
Last week, I was feeling pretty edgy about my competition goal. My costume wasn't here, my music wasn't here...and I felt way behind in my efforts to increase my stamina and have some weight loss happen.
This week is starting off much better - I lost a total of 7 pounds last week, woot! My costume arrived Saturday and despite a minor detail or two fits well and looks like I hoped it would. My music arrived and I got it all cut and blended...
Noticeably for me was last night. I teach 3 hours of dance classes every Sunday night. Typically by the end of those three hours, I think I might die, lol. By the time I get home, my muscles are cramping badly and I'm so stoved up I can barely make it in from the car.
Last night, I had none of the usual aches and pains, and in fact was able to run to the store after class - usually there would be no way I would be able to do that. So, my exericse/food control has made a significant difference there! I was still tired...but not a complete wreck.
This week's goals:
Lose 2 pounds by:
20 minutes minimum on elliptical x 5 days
Keeping calories within range
dancing, dancing and more dancing.
Okay, we'll be honest...I'd like to lose more than 2 pounds - but I know the first week losing 7 was pretty great and that 2 is a healthy goal. But secretly? Yeah..I'd like to lose more than 2. But...I'll just keep that as my goal and hopefully be pleasantly surprised, lol.
Friday, May 02, 2008
you know what I love about my SP blog? I can write about all my internal stuff that leads me to overeating, stress and unhappiness....and know that the few who might read it - get it. They don't judge me - talk about me behind my back - they just listen, give constructive feedback (which i take with a grain of salt, lol applying what works and leaving the rest) and say "YOU CAN DO IT!" Meanwhile I process a lot of stuff that would have stayed inside and perhaps pushed me over the edge into binging. Wow. Pretty cool SP exists. :)
A really, REALLY long time ago, I competed a bit on the Pacific Northwest bellydance competition circuit and did pretty well. Back in the "olden days" they had a "semi pro" category and I won up to that point.
Flash forward 20+ years, a lot of life under the bridge and the gain of about 100 pounds, I wanted to challenge myself...and I signed up to compete at BD USA in the Alternative Music Pro category. For non-bellydancers, this would probably be like signing up to do a marathon or an amature fitness competition.
Thirty-six days before the event....My costume has finally been shipped, but when it arrives, it needs serious embellishment. My final choice (I hope) in music should be arriving no later than next week as well - because of course, I had to switch gears and go with a "theme" when I hadn't planned on going with a theme in the first place, just dancing to a couple of songs that moved me...then I had to find music to match the theme....So....I have some ideas, but no choreography (and I'm sorry, but I am a choreographer through and through. I will NOT be happy if I just get up there and "wing it." Improvisation is not always our friend, lol) - no costume - and at this moment I'm thinking...
What the hell was I thinking?
I'm reminding myself this morning:
- I did not go into this with the idea of winning. I wanted to challenge myself, and boy howdy, I've done that now haven't I??
- I'm tired and stressed out over stuff not being here for me to get it all lined up, and next week this time likely it will all be here and I'll be able to take my stress out in whipping it into shape.
- I'm performing tonight with my troupe and I'm stressed out about it, I don't care for dancing in restaurants and that's what we're doing so I'm feeling edgy.
- My weight is really bothering me after seeing the video of our performance last weekend - my belly was effing HUGE....All 100 pounds of my overweight is surely right THERE on my gut and it ws horrifying, truly horrifying. That is probably really influencing a lot of my feelings right now.
- I learned a friend of mine who is about 98 pounds soaking wet (seriously!) is going to compete in the same category and it threw me - and I immediately went into "fat chick thinking" - "I have no chance of placing with XXX in there, cause I am so fat." On top of my other stressors, this sort of sent me over the edge.
What I know:
1. I have lost 6 pounds this week - not by doing any thing crazy but by keeping my calories under 1550, and exercising 15-30 minutes. I am seriously increasing my cardio stamina on the bleepity bleep elliptical and I feel REALLY, REALLY good about those things. I will NOT allow my internal voices of paranoia, fear, and self doubt take those successes away from me.
2. Reality is, who knows what the judges will like that day? and I didn't take this on to win, I took it on to challenge myself. PERIOD.
3. I will NOT freak out and binge over all these feelings roiling around inside me. I will NOT. PERIOD.
Get An Email Alert Each Time NOREGRET2010 Posts