There are so many ways to volunteer that it's hard NOT to find something you can do. Remember that you don't have to commit to a whole day or weekend - even a few hours here and there is a big help. And, it doesn't mean working only with charities - schools & libraries need volunteers, too.
Places that need volunteers:
- hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living centers
- day care centers for children or adults
- churches (rummage sales, bake sales, sing in the choir, ministry programs)
- pet adoption shelters (walk a sheltered dog & get some exercise as well)
- find an organization that provides rides for seniors to doctors appts
- local food bank
- Salvation Army
- tutor a student or work in the school library
- be a chaperone on a school trip
- Scout leader
- visit a sick friend or run errands or cook a meal for someone
- do a fundraising walk for your favorite organization
- etc., etc., etc.
Check out websites like Volunteermatch.org or even AARP to find opportunities.
- 6/9/2011 10:46:37 PM