Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

If you have type 1 diabetes and have a glucometer reading over 300 milligrams per deciliter, you should test your urine for ketones. Call your doctor if moderate or high levels of ketones are present, or if you have not previously discussed how to adjust your insulin dose when your sugar is this high. Your doctor will give you more specific guidelines about when and how often to test your blood glucose and urine and what readings to look for. Also call your doctor whenever you have unexplained nausea and vomiting, with or without abdominal pain.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Diabetic Ketoacidosis Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.