Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

You should have regular checkups if you have:

  • Diabetes

  • High blood pressure

  • Other diseases that put you at risk of end-stage renal disease

These checkups should include urine and blood tests to measure your kidney function.

When blood tests indicate kidney disease, your doctor should refer you to a kidney specialist. This specialist is called a nephrologist.

Call your doctor if you notice any decrease in urination or other symptoms of end-stage renal disease. Be particularly vigilant if you have kidney disease or its risk factors.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  End-Stage Renal Disease Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.