Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Contact a mental health professional, a pediatrician or a primary care physician if you have a question about food restriction, feelings of sadness or anxiety, or persistent problems with body image. A family member may be the first to notice such problems and should contact a health care professional on behalf of the person having trouble. Severe weight loss or starvation can become a medical emergency so early treatment is desirable.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Anorexia Nervosa Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.