Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the
Harvard Medical School

Treatment

Patients with toxic shock syndrome are hospitalized and treated with:

  • Intravenous fluids and certain medicines to raise blood pressure and improve blood flow to vital organs

  • Antibiotics to eliminate the bacteria causing the infection and releasing the toxin

Mechanical ventilation, dialysis or other supportive measurements may be necessary if vital organs fail.

In some cases of toxic shock syndrome caused by group A streptococci, when there is extensive infection of soft tissues, surgical removal of destroyed tissue may be necessary.

Page 6 of 9     Next Page:  Toxic Shock Syndrome When to Call A Doctor
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 3 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.