Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Men should call a doctor if they notice an abnormal discharge from the penis. Women should seek medical attention if they develop an unusual vaginal discharge or bleeding or pain during intercourse. Both men and women should call a doctor if they start urinating more frequently, or if urination causes pain or a burning discomfort, especially if fever or chills occur. Men and women, especially pregnant women, should call a doctor if they participate in sexual activity with someone who has gonorrhea or chlamydia.

Men and women who have sex with multiple partners should schedule a routine physical examination every year, even if they have no symptoms of sexually transmitted infections. In women, this physical examination should include a pelvic exam.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Urethritis Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.