Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Call your primary care physician or a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in skin problems) if you have any of the following problems:

  • Dry skin that doesn't respond to nonprescription treatments

  • A severe case of blistering sunburn

  • A milder sunburn over a very large portion of your skin, especially if your painful skin makes it hard for you to sleep or to wear clothing

  • A persistent scaly patch or nodule anywhere on your skin, or a skin ulcer that does not heal

  • Abnormal bleeding under the skin, or skin that bruises very easily

  • Any change in moles

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Sun-Damaged Skin (Actinic keratosis) Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.