(HealthDay News) -- Medical errors are among the top causes of death and injury, the American Academy of Family Physicians says.
The academy says you can help protect yourself by becoming an active member of your health care team:
- Inform your doctors about all of your medications, including any over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and supplements.
- Tell your doctors about any allergies.
- Make sure your doctors have access to all of your important health information.
- Ask questions about any medication before you start taking it, such as what the medication is for and possible side effects.
- Make sure you can read the doctor's handwriting on any prescription.
- Before having any surgery, choose your hospital wisely. Discuss any possible risks with your doctor.
- Educate yourself about your own health. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions.