(HealthDay News) -- Mercury is commonly used in household items such as thermometers, and it may be found in high quantities in some types of fish.
Children are more prone than adults to the harmful effects of mercury, since kids' brains and nervous systems are still developing.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests how to protect children from exposure to mercury:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet, but limit fish that may be high in mercury, such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish.
- Throw away old thermometers that contain mercury and replace with digital thermometers.
- Never allow a child to play with or handle mercury.
- Do not burn or heat mercury.
- If you spill mercury, do not vacuum it. Instead, contact the nearest health department or environmental agency.