(HealthDay News) -- As teens grow more independent, they need to make healthier food choices without depending on advice from mom and dad ... even at a fast-food restaurant.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests:
- Instead of a fried chicken sandwich, opt for a chicken fajita.
- Instead of a super-sized burger with high-fat toppings, opt for a lean burger.
- In lieu of fries, select a baked potato.
- Instead of ice cream, choose nonfat frozen yogurt topped with fruit.
- Order a salad and choose low-fat dressing.
- Ask for water, skipping a milkshake or soda.