(HealthDay News) -- Osteoporosis is characterized by thin and brittle bones that are more likely to break.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions to help build bone health:
- Create an exercise regimen that includes aerobic weight-bearing exercises four days per week, plus two or three days of resistance training.
- Perform flexibility exercises frequently, but make sure you don't include activities that cause the spine to bend forward.
- Build your muscles by walking, running or lifting weights.
- Perform a variety of different exercises that you enjoy and that work different muscles.
- Make sure your exercises don't cause joint pain.